Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Green Bean Goodness

Trying out a new green bean recipe - combining a couple that I found online and then making some changes.  I think I'll call my recipe "Green Bean Goodness."

I decided that it would be easiest to make these in my electric skillet.  I love my electric skillet - I use it all the time!!


This is not a healthy recipe but I'm making it for the young adults and it is going to fee about 25 people so we aren't talking about a large serving per person.

one pound bacon - chopped into 1 inch pieces
1/2 cup chopped onion
brown onion and bacon in skillet - don't cook until done but cook until not "so raw" looking - you know what I mean?
drain 6 # can (yes, I said a 6 POUND can - actually, it is something like 6 pounds and 7 ounces . . .I really could use two tonight but only have one) and one regular can of cut green beans (I added what I had in the pantry!!)
add to skillet
melt one stick butter in microwave safe dish (I use my four cup glass measuring cup to melt butter)
add 3/4 cup brown sugar (it was really a HEAPING half cup -- why don't they make a 3/4 cup measuring cup?  So many recipes call for 3/4 cup and I don't like using the glass "one cup" for things like brown sugar)
add 6 T soy sauce
add one teaspoon minced garlic (I buy it in the jar)
stir butter, soy sauce, brown sugar and garlic together
pour over green beans
gently stir
Add a little salt and a few good shakes of black pepper
put lid on electric skillet
cook one hour
remove lid
cook until juices begin to caramelize and bacon continues to crisp (the green beans actually started shrinking . . .I cooked that long)
(p.s. - these were a hit - not a single green bean for leftovers!  They received the "thumbs up" from several of the young adults!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment