Monday, July 29, 2024

Yummy Appetizer!

We went to our monthly supper club on Friday night and I was in charge of the appetizer. Mark said, "Let's take some cool appetizer." I laughed and said I'm looking online and think I've found one. The picture of what I made is below and everyone loved it! I found the recipe on Casual Foodist and you can see it here. In the recipe is a link on how to make the hot honey, which I made using local honey provided by a friend at work. I changed the recipe a little. Instead of adding the pecans to the hot honey as it was heated, I used chopped pecans and toasted them for 10 minutes at 350 degrees. I used a little salt and butter on them before I put them in the oven. I heated the cheese. The recipe said to heat for 10 minutes at 400 degrees. I heated a little longer than that -- maybe 15 minutes. I covered the dish/cheese with foil and placed it in my trusty casserole carrier. I had the hot honey (cooled) in a mason jar with a tight fitting lid. I took everything in a basket to my friend's house and zapped the honey in her microwave. I took a knife along with the fruit and sliced it quickly before serving and it NEVER turned brown. I was amazed. I drizzled the heated hot (redundant) honey over the cheese and sprinkled LOTS of pecans on top. You can see that I served two wheels of Brie. I served the cheese with animal crackers, apple slices, pear slices, a round wheat cracker, honey pretzel twists, and a Raisin, Rosemary, Pumpkin Seed Cracker both from Aldi. It was a huge hit! It was very easy!! I'm not getting paid anything for this so it isn't an advertisement but I bought everything EXCEPT the pecans (I buy in bulk once a year) and the honey (from bees in Columbiana, AL via my friend) at Aldi. We have found that nice cheese is so much more affordable at Aldi. The Aldi near our house is a nice store. I don't go there often, but when I do I've been pleased with the products.




6 comments:

  1. I can't get the link to work, but! I think there's definitely a trip to Prattville Aldi's in our near future. Animal Crackers is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just updated the link! I copied and pasted and forgot to test!

      Delete
  2. I am a fan of hot honey! It's really good on salmon too. I make a baked boursin topped with hot honey and it's always a hit. I haven't done that in a while so need to remember to pull that recipe out next time I need to bring an app somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is truly a cool appetizer! What brand of animal crackers did you buy that didn't just crumble when you dipped/spread them?

    ReplyDelete