Wednesday, July 17, 2024

It's a mid-July Hodgepodge!

I am joining up with Joyce at From This Side of the Pond for Wednesday Hodgepodge.

1. What is an adult problem nobody prepared you for? This is not a problem per se. . .but I had NO idea that I would still worry about my “children” so much even when they are almost 38 years old and both parents themselves.

2. Without mentioning any tech, what's your most prized possession? We truly learned how unimportant “things/possessions” are back in 2022. We, of course, still have possessions and have things we love. I love my engagement ring. I love my Wolf appliances. I love my baby quilt and hope we find it in a box in the attic that we’ve still not unpacked. My mother’s mother made it and it is the only thing I have that came from Granny George. I only have a few things from my parents and I have my grandfather’s glasses and his Fa-so-la (Sacred Harp/Shaped Note) songbook -- it made it through the fire!! Mark and his sister have been working on cleaning out their mom’s house. She had at least 58 years of possessions in that house because they moved there when Mark and George were 12. She also had the possessions of relatives who had died – there are some books from the late 1800’s and some other cool things. Most of the things are just possessions though. They meant something to her or to the people before her. Some of those possession mean something to her kids and grandkids and daughter-in-laws (including me) and son-in-law . . .but they are still just possessions.

3. It's National Peach Ice Cream Day (July 17th). Will you be celebrating? Do you like peaches? Given a choice would you prefer peach ice cream, peach pie, peach cobbler, or just hand me a peach? Do you own anything that is peach in color? I will not be celebrating but homemade peach ice cream is hard to beat! I love peaches and I haven’t had a single local peach this year. What is wrong with me?? I think I prefer the fresh peach first and then maybe the ice cream (if I still ate ice cream).

4. What makes a friendship successful? There are several things that make a friendship successful. I think honesty and a sense of humor and complete confidentiality are all very important. How about love? I think it is important!! It also helps if you have some shared interests but I don’t know if that is necessary, or not. Do you think it is necessary?

5. Let's give our brains a rest and do a little summertime this or that...beach or pool? ice cream or snowcone? amusement park or camping? burger or hot dog? watermelon or strawberries? get up early or sleep in late? sunrise or sunset? I’m horrible at these. I love the beach and pool. I’ll choose a snowcone! I definitely would choose amusement park over camping. I love both a good burger and a good hotdog. I love both watermelon and strawberries. I always get up early. I love both a good sunrise and a good sunset.

6. Insert your own random thought here. I have no random thoughts today, but I love a cat meme -- so here you go!



11 comments:

  1. Hi Lisa, I agree, we do worry about our kids. I worry more about my grands now and their future. You have a lot of special things from your family. You made me think about something, I have my grandmas glasses too. Shaved ice is better than a snow cone. I think I will need to get some peach sorbet tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean about grown kids and worry. I try so hard to pray instead of worry and remind myself of what I was doing at that age. And then they have children which is a whole nother thing to hand over daily! The meme is cute : ). Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy a hot dog too but a burger trumps almost all food for me! I know for sure I will still worry about my kids, no matter their age.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lisa, oh my, you struck me with #1 ... I am the same way. I say that to my husband all the time. I swear I worry more about them as adults.
    I like your answer to #4.
    xx oo
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm giggling so hard at your random. Why? Because for no particular reason, the last 6 months when I go to the back door and summon "the girls" outside I sing, "Here they come just a walkin' down the street ... snapping their paws and shuffling their feet. They look good! They look fine. Look good, look fine and I nearly lose my mind."

    ReplyDelete
  6. You had a house fire in 2022? I can see how you would reevaluate everything due to that. I´ll bet some of those items from you mother in law´s house are really neat. Enjoyed reading your answers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cut cats and they do look like they could be a gang from West Side Story!! You certainly lived through question #1. I enjoyed your answers!! Happy hump day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sure, I think some shared interests really do help in a friendship but they are not absolutely necessary. It can make the friendship more enjoyable. I'm a day late in getting round to the hodgepodge. Hope you are keeping cool.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved your answer about treasured possessions. I didn't think about the family heirloom type things I have that I value - quilts and artwork and photographs etc. How wonderful that so many of those kinds of treasured things survived and you still have them! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amen to #1. The day our daughter was born, I began a lifetime of worry.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoyed your answers. #2 is so true....in the end everything is just posessions though some mean much more to us. When we had some wildfires near, I thought I should take inventory of what we had, and also a list of what we would grab depending on time we had if we had to leave.

    ReplyDelete