Sunday, November 19, 2023

Sunday Stealing

 I'm joining up with Sunday Stealing. Bev stole these questions from League of Extraordinary Penpals.

1. People I'd like to thank and why - oh my goodness! That list would be so long. I would like to thank my parents. I would like to thank Inez Lane and some of the other ladies in the church where I grew up. I would like to thank Charlotte and Ronnie and Linda and Jimmie and Carol and Clayton. I would like to thank Mr. Onimus who taught me so much but was such a crazy person. I would like to thank Mel. He was so good to me. I would like to thank Becky. She put up with and puts up with so much. I would like to thank Phella and Laura and Marietta and Terrie and Linda and Kevin and the list would go on and on. I would like to thank Brian who has taught me so much and helped me learn about grace. I would like to thank Mark who has put up with me for 39 years and my mother-in-law for teaching me how to cook and for being such a good role model. I would like to thank our kids and in-laws for being who they are and for producing such wonderful granddaughters. That is just a tiny list. There are so many more. I would like to thank the Hoover firefighters for coming to fight our house fire and for all of our neighbors and their patience and for all of those folks who sent money and gift cards and drove me around town. I imagine if I continued to work at this list, it could be pages and pages of people I would thank.

2. Something I rebelled against as a kid. I was a straight A kid whose main infraction was talking too much in class because I finished my work quickly and then wanted to talk. Then my mom died when I was a Sophomore in high school and I rebelled against everything for several years. I did everything I was taught not to do. It is amazing I'm still here and that I grew up into a fairly decent person :-). 

3. What I need to accomplish before the end of the year: I need to purchase Christmas presents. I need to host supper club at our house. I need to help put together gift baskets for some folks coming to meetings at work. I have a quiz and a final. The list goes on.

4. Guilty pleasures right now: Sugar free fudgesicles don't sound like a guilty pleasure but that is all I can think of . . .

5. Local landmarks: Vulcan, Moss Rock Preserve




6. Cause or purpose I deeply believe in: I believe in God and try to love ALL people.

7. Things I never learned to do: I've never been snow skiing.

8. Seasonal traditions I’m always excited for: I am looking forward to Thanksgiving food and time with family. 

9. Something I’d like to be mentored on: I'm always asking for advice on politically correct terms . . .could someone mentor me?

10. Exotic animals I wish I could keep as pets: I would love a big cat or two.

11. Something normal to me, that might be odd to others: Twin toes. Webbed toes. These toes are genetic through my husband's side of the family. Many of them have those toes including one of our twins.

12. The last book I quit reading and why: I thought I was going to have stop listening to Demon Copperhead. It was so darkly depressing. I'm glad I stuck with it.

13. Right now, I appreciate...the lovely weather we've had yesterday and today. We've had our door open to the screen porch.

14. When “the holiday season” starts for me: I laughingly told someone it starts at Labor Day. I feel like we are on a downhill slide all the way to Christmas. I guess the holidays actually start at Halloween since Halloween is such a big deal in our neighborhood. On November 1, I move into Thanksgiving season. We pause for mid November birthday celebrations and then on the day after Thanksgiving, I start thinking about Christmas.

15. Holiday foods and treats I love the most: Dressing and gravy. You might call it stuffing. We make cornbread dressing - you make cornbread and then crumble it with all sorts of other goodies and add some eggs and broth and bake it in muffin tins or in a 9 X 13 pan. Serve with gravy.

16. “Terrible” movies that I actually like - we don't watch that many movies but I do love Christmas Vacation and Four Christmases. We will watch both of those during December. I'm sure those qualify as "terrible" movies to someone out there. Mark was quoting Four Christmases the other night, "You can't spell families without lies."

17. Cooking all day for holiday dinner vs. ordering carry-out: My sisters-in-law and I divided up most of the food for Thursday. Our son is making one side so none of us will be cooking ALL day . . .just part of some days. I'm going to have to finish my cooking by noon on Wednesday because I have an all afternoon doctor's appointment. Since I'm changing ENT's, I have to be re-tested . . . that involves a lot of needle sticks on my back.

 

18. If I were trapped in a holiday movie, I’d pick...

 

19. Which holiday tradition I wish lasted all year long

 

20. Favorite books, music, tv, movies and music this month

 

 

 


9 comments:

  1. Several things. 1. I limited my thanks to the last three days because it would be way too long. 9. the trick with politically correct terms is thayt they tend to change over time. e.g., Native American or American Indian? I know some of these aboriginal people hate both terms and prefer being referred to by their tribe nam,es, which, of course, have been Anglized. 17. Needle sticks? Ick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was a smart thing to do on #1!! Regarding the politically correct terms - yes! I feel like as soon as I learn the correct ones, it changes. I can't believe I didn't answer the last three questions!

      Delete
  2. Of course - I have to buy Christmas presents too. I almost forgot. That way insanity lies.

    It's a bit strange to me that you guys have a big holiday in both November and December. You must hate January more than I do.

    :o)

    Cheers

    PM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you having allergy testing? I always react to that days later, which allegedly "doesn't count" but sure counts to me! I loved your list of people to thank. I thought I was at some awards show. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - I'll be leaving here in about an hour to head to the main hospital campus to have the testing. I am not looking forward to it!

      Delete
  4. I love how your family celebrates the holidays, Lisa! One of these days I want to make time between doctor's appointments to visit the Vulcan. Thankfully, now that I'm retired I don't have to practice political correctness. (Much, that is. LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I'll have a couple of big cats too!! I haven't done any shopping yet but thankfully don't have too many to buy for anymore. Hope the doctor appointment goes well. Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We still buy for quite a few . . . and actually, I was wrong -- there is one present stashed in an upstairs closet for granddaughter #2. It was on sale and her mom sent me the link at least a month ago!

      Delete