Wednesday, August 18, 2021

Wednesday Hodgepodge

Thanks to Joyce for the questions for the Wednesday Hodgepodge! We copy and paste the questions and answer on our own blog and then link back up here. Please feel free to join us or please answer in the comments!! 

From this Side of the Pond
1. Monday, August 16th was National Roller Coaster Day. Are you a fan? Did you celebrate? Last place/time you rode a roller coaster? I love roller coasters but I can't remember the last one I rode!! I didn't celebrate - aw shucks! My favorite roller coaster story involves our kids and Disneyworld. Our kids were in sixth grade and Mark had a business trip (CPE I think) at the Contemporary Hotel in Disneyworld. We had been to Disneyworld one time before right before our kids turned 10 and it was in the summer and things were sort of crowded. This trip was at the end of October. One evening it was raining a little and Mark was tied up in his class and the kids and I went back to the park. There was NO LINE and NO WAITING for Space Mountain. We got in line and rode it together and we ran back around and got in line again and rode it again. I made it through about 4 trips and then I sat at the exit while they proceeded to ride it about 11 times total!!

2. Tell us about a time in your life where it felt like you were figuratively riding a roller coaster. I feel that way right now. I've mentioned my sweet mother-in-law here before. She is 96 and we are taking turns spending the night with her. Along with that, I'm working a full time job and doing several other things and some days feel like a roller coaster. I keep reminding myself that God is right here with us.

3. Favorite treat to eat at an amusement park or state fair? Do I have to pick one? I love a good corndog with mustard and ketchup! I also love popcorn - when they pop it fresh and you can smell it all over the park. When I was still eating sweets I might have said FUNNEL CAKE! Oh my goodness!

4. Are you easy to get along with? Elaborate. I don't think so. Do I have to elaborate? I get along great with some folks but there are others with whom I struggle. I think I was probably worse when I was younger. This is actually a joke in our house but I had a hysterectomy when I was 42 and Mark said and I quote "They cut the meanness right out of you!" My PMS was a force to be reckoned with and I truly felt like I had no control over it. 

5. Something on your calendar to see-do-read-accomplish or just enjoy before month's end? Our daughter, son-in-law, and grandbaby are coming to our house for the weekend! I'm going to a friend's house on Friday for lunch with two friends. I have tickets to a local theater production (music evening) on Thursday night but that is my night to stay with my mother-in-law so I won't be going. We were invited to dinner tonight but tonight is Mark's night to stay with his mom so I'm not sure I'm going alone. Mark's birthday is this weekend! We aren't celebrating with his family until next weekend though.

6. Insert your own random thought here. We went to an Airforce commissioning service on Friday for one of the young women who attended our Tuesday night group. There were several things I loved. On the invitation, notice that it says they will start promptly. They did! Also, a chaplain got up to do the invocation and he said something like, "I'm going to pray . . .and we invite you to pray however you pray (or maybe to whomever you pray)". . .and then he said "Lord Jesus Christ" and began his prayer. Our friend will be a JAG and she set her sights on that goal and she never wavered. She powered through law school and through basic training and she never gave up. Have you ever been to a military commissioning?




18 comments:

  1. I haven't been to a military commissioning. I wish the young lady well! How fun to have ridden Space Mountain all those times back in the days!! I think after one time I would have sat the other times out :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After several times on space mountain, I was quite woozy!!

      Delete
  2. I haven't been to a commissioning but I have been to a Marine corps graduation at Parris Island and it was an amazing experience. We had a similar experience once at Disneyland when there was a light rain. No crowds and walking on rides without waiting. So great. What a lovely way for you all to honor your dear mother in law. Happy Hodgepodge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would imagine that a military graduation would have lots of pomp and circumstance!

      Delete
  3. Congrats to your friend. Happy Birthday to your husband.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's been years, but I love the military's traditions and sense of honor. Space Mountain - like most roller coasters - was not my finest moment, but I agree: Staying there in one of the park's hotels makes all the difference!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've only been twice to Disneyworld and both times stayed at one of their properties. The first one had a bus stop and we just caught the bus every day. The second one had the monorail and that was WONDERFUL!

      Delete
  5. It seems most of us are talking about the coasters at Disney. 11 times on Space Mountain? wow

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy birthday to Mark!! Congrats to your friend! Quite an accomplishment! Good for her. Busch Gardens in Tampa has amazing roller coasters... tall and fast and most take you upside down. Loved them back in the day. Fun questions!! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, our friend worked very hard. Her commanding officer said they always try to think of one word to describe their folks -- tenacious was her word! She did over and above.

      Delete
  7. I have been to a military commisioning, my son-in-law's : ) My hubs often had sales meetings in Disneyworld, always in late October or November. That used to be the best time to go as the lines were minimal and you didn't really need the Fast Passes, which were a new thing back then. Now it seems like the crowds are year round. I hope to go with my grandkids when they are just a little bit older. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard it is always crowded now. I, too, hope to go with grandkids some day!!

      Delete
  8. I am so sorry about your MIL's continued bad health, but she is blessed that she has family who can care for her in her familiar surroundings. I know it poses many difficulties for you all, but what a blessing to be able to do that for her. The Military Chaplain's job must be a very challenging one these days with so much political correctness required. How wonderful that he can also pray aloud to his God. Enjoyed your Disneyland story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep reminding myself that we have been given this special time with my MIL :-).

      Delete
  9. Have missed doing the hodgepodge posts lately. Need to get back at them. Joyce's questions are always so good and thought-provoking. Bless your heart spending the night with your MIL. That must be exhausting doing that every so many days. And then working fulltime, too. I always have my 94 year old mom on my mind. Go to bed thinking of her and wake up thinking of her. Usually a little scared to check my phone first thing in the morning because of my mom.
    What a lovely ceremony for your friends' commissioning. Wishing her much success in her military career and a hedge of protection keeping her safe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Praying for your mother-in-law and for you all at this difficult time.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete