Thanks to Joyce for the questions for the Wednesday Hodgepodge! We copy and paste the questions and answer on our own blog and then link back up here. Please feel free to join us or please answer in the comments!!1. Monday, August 16th was National Roller Coaster Day. Are you a fan? Did you celebrate? Last place/time you rode a roller coaster? I love roller coasters but I can't remember the last one I rode!! I didn't celebrate - aw shucks! My favorite roller coaster story involves our kids and Disneyworld. Our kids were in sixth grade and Mark had a business trip (CPE I think) at the Contemporary Hotel in Disneyworld. We had been to Disneyworld one time before right before our kids turned 10 and it was in the summer and things were sort of crowded. This trip was at the end of October. One evening it was raining a little and Mark was tied up in his class and the kids and I went back to the park. There was NO LINE and NO WAITING for Space Mountain. We got in line and rode it together and we ran back around and got in line again and rode it again. I made it through about 4 trips and then I sat at the exit while they proceeded to ride it about 11 times total!!
2. Tell us about a time in your life where it felt like you were figuratively riding a roller coaster. I feel that way right now. I've mentioned my sweet mother-in-law here before. She is 96 and we are taking turns spending the night with her. Along with that, I'm working a full time job and doing several other things and some days feel like a roller coaster. I keep reminding myself that God is right here with us.
3. Favorite treat to eat at an amusement park or state fair? Do I have to pick one? I love a good corndog with mustard and ketchup! I also love popcorn - when they pop it fresh and you can smell it all over the park. When I was still eating sweets I might have said FUNNEL CAKE! Oh my goodness!
4. Are you easy to get along with? Elaborate. I don't think so. Do I have to elaborate? I get along great with some folks but there are others with whom I struggle. I think I was probably worse when I was younger. This is actually a joke in our house but I had a hysterectomy when I was 42 and Mark said and I quote "They cut the meanness right out of you!" My PMS was a force to be reckoned with and I truly felt like I had no control over it.
5. Something on your calendar to see-do-read-accomplish or just enjoy before month's end? Our daughter, son-in-law, and grandbaby are coming to our house for the weekend! I'm going to a friend's house on Friday for lunch with two friends. I have tickets to a local theater production (music evening) on Thursday night but that is my night to stay with my mother-in-law so I won't be going. We were invited to dinner tonight but tonight is Mark's night to stay with his mom so I'm not sure I'm going alone. Mark's birthday is this weekend! We aren't celebrating with his family until next weekend though.
6. Insert your own random thought here. We went to an Airforce commissioning service on Friday for one of the young women who attended our Tuesday night group. There were several things I loved. On the invitation, notice that it says they will start promptly. They did! Also, a chaplain got up to do the invocation and he said something like, "I'm going to pray . . .and we invite you to pray however you pray (or maybe to whomever you pray)". . .and then he said "Lord Jesus Christ" and began his prayer. Our friend will be a JAG and she set her sights on that goal and she never wavered. She powered through law school and through basic training and she never gave up. Have you ever been to a military commissioning?