Tuesday, August 10, 2021

10 on the 10th

 


Thanks to Leslie at Once Upon a Time Happily Everafter for the questions.

10 on the 10th.  The prompt for August is 10 questions about life-long learning.  Here are the questions.

1.    How old were you when you started school? Did you attend pre-kinder and/or kinder or go straight into first grade? I was 6 years old when I started first grade. We didn't have public kindergarten in my hometown back in the early 60's. I did go ONE day to a private kindergarten. I guess they allowed people to bring a friend one day.

2.    Were you a good student? What was your favorite subject? Yes, I was an excellent student. I'm a people pleaser and I'm a #1 on the enneagram and I'm competitive so I was always striving for the top grade. I loved Math and English. When my kids were little, I would ask them about their favorite subject - our son would always say "recess."

3.    As a child, did you take music lessons? Or play a sport? Do you still play an instrument now? Our family didn't have the money for extras like music lessons. We played neighborhood kickball and baseball but I never played organized sports until I was a young adult and I was the catcher on our church women's softball team. I was not a good player.

4.    Did you attend any kind of training or classes beyond high school? If so, what did you study?  Did you wind up working in a profession or job for which those classes or training prepared you? I took classes at a local junior college and also at a 4 year university but never got my degree. I would assume that my English classes would have prepared me and I've also taken classes on Excel and Publisher which I use often.

5.    Have you taken any personal growth or adult education classes for fun? During the year that was Covid, did you home school, learn a new app to work from home, teach yourself to do something you might have paid someone else to do for you? I'm actually meeting with an academic advisor on Friday to scope out my options. I did learn how to use Zoom during covid - lots of meetings via zoom and I taught and facilitated some classes on Zoom.

6.    What would you like to learn how to do that you don’t know how to do already? I took 4 Spanish classes in college and I should go back and relearn so that I can speak Spanish now.

7.    Name something that you learned easily. Then name something that was a struggle for you to learn to do. There have been two classes in my life where I struggled. I struggled with Geometry but I think it was the coach who taught our class. I also struggled with Psychology 101. The professor was a jack a** PLUS I had all four wisdom teeth cut out that semester with a two day stay in the hospital.

8.    What’s the last thing you remember learning? What kind of learner are you: visual, auditory, hands-on/kinesthetic, verbal, logical/mathematical? I'm always reading so I feel like I'm always learning. We recently had Eleanor from our church staff speak to our young professionals group about the Old Testament. She is our Children's minister but is also an Old Testament scholar. I learned several new things from her. I think I'm a hands-on learner and maybe somewhat of a visual learner. I'm definitely not an auditory learner. I can listen to a lecture but I need to take lots of notes so I can go back over it.

9.    Hard to teach an old dog new tricks, school of hard knocks, pass with flying colors, learn by heart, burn the midnight oil, pull an all-nighter, play hooky – which of these expression best fits your life lately? Why? I guess this week is burn the midnight oil . . . though I won't be staying up until midnight. We have at least one thing every single day and night this week. I'm trying to make sure I'm organized and have a list so I don't forget anything.

10. What is something you’ve learned from past mistakes? You can't always judge a book by its cover. Every time I judge someone by their appearance, I end up realizing that each person is unique and loved by God . . .and I need to remember that!

11. Bonus: Share your favorite learning/education quote. Does Dr. Seuss count? You have brains in your head, you have feet in your shoes, you can steer yourself any direction you choose.

11 comments:

  1. A great Dr. Suess quote always counts:) Love all the English fans while reading these posts! What is the point of math anyways!?!? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your #10!! Love Dr. Suess too, and of course he counts! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm ashamed to admit how many times I have judged people by their appearance and each time God shows me the error of my ways!!

      Delete
  3. Of course Dr. Suess counts! He has great quotes. I think geometry was the one subject I hated in school and dreaded having to teach my boys (I'm a homeschooling mom so I kind of HAD to!). Luckily I did well with it but I struggled as my teacher wanted us to memorize so many things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine having to teach geometry to anyone! I do know that I often learn more while teaching anyone about anything. I guess if I taught it, I might understand it more!

      Delete
  4. If I was to go back and learn something new I would take Spanish. Opens up more job possibilities if one is bilingual :) I would also take sign language :)

    Love a lot of Dr. Seuss quotes, especially this one!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are right about the job opportunities for those who are bilingual. People all around the world speak multiple languages and I think it is so cool to meet someone who can speak 3, 4, 5, and more languages!

      Delete
  5. Dr. Seuss absolutely counts. Great quote.
    It was interesting to get to know you better. It seems that several us participating this month loved English or were English majors. Maybe that characteristic goes along with writing as in blog writing. Several of us are interested in learning Spanish. I am doing Duolingo and have 2 other blogger friends doing it, too. Join us!!

    ReplyDelete