Friday, March 23, 2018

Five Minute Friday - Routine



Linking up with Five Minute Friday and this week's word is ROUTINE!

Routine - this is my word! I am the mother of twins who are 31 years old and from the time they were born, I worked hard on having a routine. I am still a list maker and a calendar keeper because routine matters to me.



One of the problems with routine is that I get so caught up in DOING the things I need to do that I sometimes forget to absorb. I love to write "pray" and "read bible" and "journal" on my list and I love the routine of taking the time to do this BUT I get caught up in "I have to do this" and these become just another thing to mark off on my to do list.

A friend and I were talking this morning about meal planning, etc. and we both like to have things planned out - our routine. When my kids were babies, we ate dinner, gave them a bath, read a story, and went to sleep all by 8:00 p.m. (and earlier when they were really young) ROUTINE - I think it was what kept me sane when they were babies. 

I have other friends who have no routine at all - they are able to go with the flow and be spontaneous. That is not my forte. I am trying to find a happy medium at this ripe old age of 59. I need some routine but I also need to be spontaneous.

What about you? Do you have a daily routine? How about a cleaning routine? Do you operate better with routine or without? I would love to hear from you!!

4 comments:

  1. For me there's definitely a balance. I think without a routine of some kind I'd never do anything worthwhile, but it can't be too rigid either. Especially spending time with God it's important to look for ways to keep it fresh rather than it just being something to check off a to do list. Visiting from FMF #36.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed your article. Routine allows me to recharge, replenish and to be at rest. I have a very busy life, but there is not a single day I do not take time for myself. Even if it is just to sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not fond of day-in, day-out routine, finding it mundane and boring. I like change and yet when my three kids were small? We kept to a schedule; but now an empty nest for 20+ years, I choose spontaneous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Being a full time working mom all of my children's lives, I always followed one routine or another. Life can tend to be mundane, but I'm looking for the blessing among the routine. Sharing in the #67 spot this week.

    ReplyDelete