Saturday, July 18, 2026

The Farm

Over the last several months, I have made mention of the work that Mark has been doing on the farm. This family farm is in a trust and it is located not quite two hours from home. There are places to hunt, a lake to fish in, a front porch to sit on, a couple of window unit air conditioners . . .but it has never been a place where most of the wives wanted to spend much time. Over the 42 years we've been together, I have stayed a few nights with Mark at the farm . . .but not many!

Since Mark has retired, in addition to volunteering two days a week at The Hub, he usually spends two days and one night at the farm and he has been busy!

I have searched through my scrapbooks because I know I have a picture of the farm kitchen pre-reno, but I cannot find it!
Below is his renovated kitchen.





Here is the tiny dining room. This space was so dark. It is amazing what a fresh coat of paint and new floors will do for a house!


As they cleaned out their mother's house of 60 years and their brother and sister-in-law's home of many years, Mark was able to grab a few pieces of furniture. Their brother would be so happy!


Most of the living room furniture came from our house. We bought those Audubon prints in Washington, DC - at the museum (?) and had them rolled into tubes which we carried onto our flight -- 40 years ago!! The sofa and chairs are from Pottery Barn. The little corner shelf is from a local antique store. The table is made with skis from their mom's basement - Mark loved to water ski when he (and we) were younger!


The fireplace mantle is made from wood from our house after the fire, along with wood from several other family members. I told y'all about the painting - his sister painted it for him. That is the lake located on the farm property.


In the photo below, the chair on the right . . .there used to be this giant built-in storage closet that took up so much room and it was dank and dark. They tore it down and re-sheetrocked the wall. It wasn't easy. He told me that multiple times.


Here is his room. There are things from our house, his mom's house, and Bill's house in this room.


In the photo below, you can see one of those window units!!


 There are two other bedrooms - one is his twin brother's room and the other is their cousin, Roger's, room. From what Mark has told me, they don't look great haha! They are on their own if they want to redo those rooms.

The house is a shot-gun house - wide hall that runs from the front door to the back. Mark painted those walls and ceiling this week.

I really need to get down there to see his work! I think I have two weeks without classes between finals in the first week of August and fall semester. Maybe I can go see it then!

I'm really proud of him. He has learned how to lay floors and how to do many other jobs!

1 comment:

  1. Well done, Mark!! It all looks wonderful! Take some more photos when you go to check it out!! I enjoyed the tour!! xo

    ReplyDelete