Wednesday, February 3, 2021

You can teach an old dog new tricks Hodge Podge!

Thanks again to Joyce -- Here are the questions to this week's Wednesday Hodgepodge. Answer on your own blog then join us over at From This Side of the Pond.


1. Feb 2nd is Groundhog Day in the US of A. Tell us about one day you wouldn't mind living over again, and why you chose that day. There have been many special days - our wedding day, the day our children were born, our son and daughter-in-law's wedding day, the day our grandchildren were born, etc. One of my favorite days was the day of our daughter's wedding. As I typed those words I had to examine my thoughts and figure out why. I'm a planner by nature and so is my daughter so we had done everything we could do ahead of time to make the day special AND stay on the budget dear hubby had given us. We had one snafu on the day of the wedding with the wedding dress but the make up artist stepped in and saved the day. We were surrounded by our friends and family (pre-covid) and we had planned a fun reception. It was just a great day. 





 2. Something you know beyond a 'shadow of a doubt'? Jesus loves me this I know! 

3. Give us an example of history repeating itself in some way, in your own life or the lives of your children. This is a silly and sweet example. My husband is a great swimmer and swam on the swim team when he was growing up. Our twins took private swim lessons at 3 and learned to swim like fish. They swam on the swim team during elementary school years. Our sweet granddaughter who will be 5 in March is taking lessons now and is evidently a fish just like her Pops, and her daddy and her Aunt LaLa. I've heard that she might even swim on a team this next year.


She is not at swim lessons in this photo
but this is a big water slide
for a 4 year old!!


4. Snowed under, snow job, not a snowball's chance, snowbird, on thin ice, snug as a bug in a rug, tip of the iceberg, snowball effect, run hot and cold....choose a wintry idiom and tell us how it best applies to your life right now. I would love to be a snowbird down on the Alabama Gulf Coast right now! My husband and I were talking the other day and I told him there was no one in the world I would rather have spent the last year with due to the pandemic. I guess we've been "snug as two bugs in a rug."


In my happy place -- yes, I have on
readers under those sunglasses - I just
noticed!!


This is us trying to get a photo for his mom's 95th
birthday back in the summer. We aren't good at
selfies but we are snug as a bug in a rug!


5. Your favorite sign of spring? I have two. I love to see Forsythia blooming and I love to see the daffodils when they start to bloom!



borrowed these lovely flower photos from the internet


6. Insert your own random thought here. We started a new study with our Young Professional group last night. We've been leading this group for over 10 years on Tuesday nights. Pre-covid, I would cook and serve dinner to the group before our study each week. When the world shut down last March, we missed one Tuesday night and this old dog learned the new trick of how to set up and operate meetings via zoom. We met via zoom from March until summer. We were then able to meet in the park across the street from our house. Folks brought their chairs and on cold nights we built a fire and everyone wore masks and non-roommates sat six feet apart. In December it was just too cold to meet outside and our covid numbers had spiked in Alabama so we went back to zoom. We even hosted a zoom Christmas party. I made goodie bags and left them hidden on our porch and they could drop by and pick one up the week before the Christmas party. Everyone opened their gifts one at a time via zoom. It wasn't the same as Dirty Santa but it was something. We are still meeting via zoom and this old dog learned another new trick. I made a power point presentation (already knew how to do that) and I used it during the study. It wasn't perfectly executed . . .there is a learning curve BUT I love to learn how to do new things. I'll be proficient around the time we can gather in person again. Just in case you are interested, the study is Three Simple Rules: A Wesleyan Way of Living by Rueben P. Job. The three rules are:
1. Do No Harm
2. Do Good
3. Stay In Love with God
The study guide to go along with the book is "Three Simple Rules for Christian Living."




7 comments:

  1. I think we're all grateful for social media, zoom etc during these times and yes we've all had to learn new skills. Sounds like you're doing a great job with the study group.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! Thanks for visiting my blog today! Happy to meet you here! Great wedding photo!! I'm sure it was a beautiful day! My mom was terrified of the water and never learned to swim so she made sure all four of us kids had swimming lessons. My two sisters and I were all qualified life guards. No swim team in our little town or we might have done that. Our small group from church has been meeting by zoom and we are all getting weary of it. Just not the same as our dinner meetings in person. New days are coming...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so good to be content with being with your spouse especially this past year. Fun to read about all the swimmers! Happy February to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. my favorite sign of spring as well... love the fact that you have a brave little one our little ones are brave as well and often are braver than I am.... come see our answers at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes I wish even non-religious people would live by these rules. They just seem like good sense!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now THAT's a good-looking wedding party! :) I'm happy to hear your children (and theirs) were taught to swim at an early age. One of my favorite people in the whole word owned his own boat but once confessed he was terrified of the water. How sad is that?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your swimming memories. I enjoy swimming too. My boys started to swim early in life as well. I think learning how to swim is a very important skill.

    ReplyDelete