Wednesday, December 16, 2020

Hodgepodge #399

Joyce has written and published 399 sets of Hodgepodge questions -- that is truly amazing!  Here are the questions to this week's Wednesday Hodgepodge. Answer on your own blog, then hop back to From This Side of the Pond and link up to the party. 


From this Side of the Pond
1. What's something about Christmas that most people like, but you don't? Elaborate. 
I actually had to stop and think about this one and I guess my answer would be that I don't like to decorate too early.  I love Thanksgiving! I do not like to put up any Christmas decorations until after we have celebrated Thanksgiving. Every year folks decorate earlier and earlier and this year, I saw some Christmas trees already up on Halloween. I really like Halloween, too, so I definitely don't want to decorate that early! Most years, I start decorating on the day after Thanksgiving. 




2. Tell us about one cherished tradition from your childhood and if you'll make it happen this year? 
This sounds really sad but I don't know if I have any cherished traditions from my childhood. My mom died when I was a sophomore in high school so there was no one to keep those traditions alive. The one that I remember is that we went to my grandparents on Christmas Eve. Granny and Grandpa Walls were my daddy's parents. The whole family would gather. My daddy had one brother who was still alive and Uncle Tal and Aunt Polly and their kids and our family and my cousin, Willard (whose mom was no longer living) would all gather in my grandparents house. My grandpa gave each family a bag with some groceries - like fresh oranges and a HUGE thick candy cane. One year, my cousin paid me a dollar to be quiet for a few minutes. I was the youngest grandchild so I guess I was pestering the older ones! We ate a meal together and I think my love of pimento cheese (GOOD pimento cheese) came from those gatherings. I found this picture online of my grandparent's house. It didn't look like this back then.



3. In 1941 FDR declared December 15th Bill of Rights Day. Citizens were encouraged to fly the flag and gather for prayers and other ceremonies as appropriate. Did you know this? Will you fly a flag? Can you name all the rights and protections guaranteed in the first ten amendments of the US Constitution? Of the ten, which two do you value most? 
I did not know this about December 15th! We fly a flag on the front of our house - along with most everyone on our street! Lots of flags fly in our neighborhood! I've never thought about having favorites in this category - possibly freedom of speech and religion. My husband would definitely vote for the right to bear arms simply because he is a hunter.



4. Do you know someone named Bill? Tell us something about him? Is there a famous 'Bill' you'd like to meet? 
I do know someone named Bill! My brother-in-law is Bill and he is pretty amazing. He has Parkinson's and it was early onset and he still keeps on smiling. He rides a big trike that his siblings bought him for Christmas last year and his willingness to keep on exercising is definitely an inspiration. I don't know which Bill I would want to meet - Bill Murray? Bill Nye, the Science Guy?



5. A step in the right direction, on the right track, bragging rights, be in the right place at the right time, get off on the right foot, right as rain, right side up, give your right arm for, have one's heart in the right place...choose a 'right' that applies to your life in some way in recent days and tell us how it's so.
It should be "have one's heart in the right place" since we are approaching Christmas! I need to remember why we are celebrating. You would think that wouldn't be difficult since I work in a church but I sometimes get caught up in the hustle and hurry and buying when I should be kneeling and bowing my head. I also did a little bragging this week which usually comes back to bite me in the butt! I was able to set up a poll for a zoom call and was quite proud of myself!

6. Insert your own random thought here. 
This little nugget can say "ho! ho! ho!" and it is so cute!! We got to spend a few hours with her last weekend. 


This weekend, our "bigger" nugget will be spending the night with us while her parents are doing grown up things. I'm sure there will be some time spent riding in the golf cart looking at Christmas decorations but I imagine we might be bundled up.






No comments:

Post a Comment