Wednesday, December 9, 2020

Ho! Ho! Hodgepodge!


From this Side of the Pond


Just jumping in with the questions Joyce writes each week over at From This Side of the Pond. Feel free to copy the questions, write your answers, and link up with Joyce

1. What do you think it means to have the holiday spirit? Last night, we were doing our zoom study with the young adults and I was sharing with them about my moment of peace each year on Christmas Eve when we are singing Silent Night surrounded by our church family and lifting our candles in the air. I feel at peace with myself (this is a biggie!), at peace with my family and friends, and at peace with God. I know most would think of Holiday Spirit as the "good feelings" that go along with the holidays and I certainly understand that and have probably felt that way before but this year -- 2020 -- I think that sense of peace is my holiday spirit. I won't be attending a live church service on Christmas Eve this year but I think I'll have some candles to light and Silent Night playing in the background. I think my Christmas spirit this year will be more focused on the baby in the manger and the peace he brings to my heart - even in the middle of a pandemic. Sunday afternoon, our children's and music departments presented an amazing virtual Christmas concert. I sat at my kitchen island and cried because it was so sweet and perfect and I must admit that I felt the peace of Christ at that moment -- maybe that was the beginning of my holiday spirit!!

2. What's one thing you've baked this month? Have you eaten the finished product? How much baking do you do around the holidays? What baked sweet something does your family insist is on the menu during this season of the year?  

On Sunday, I baked cherry/blueberry sheet pancakes and apple cider donuts -- both are WW friendly recipes. (WW is Weight Watchers). Both are delicious!! I can't decide whether to bake things to share this year or not. Are people willing to eat shared goodies this year?



3. Your most recent 'half-baked' idea?

I can think of several small examples - an idea I had at work which I hadn't thought all the way through; a few cooking disasters; AND I overloaded the washing machine which led to really wrinkled clothes. . . but I was in a hurry!

4. Where were you the last time you 'baked' in the sun? The top ten sunniest destinations in the world (most sun from January-December according to this site) are Dubai, Bali Indonesia, Los Angeles CA, Miami FL, Barbados, Dominican Republic, St. Lucia, Mauritius, Antiqua, and the Canary Islands Spain. Have you been to any of the cities listed? Which one on the list appeals to you the most? If the world were not upside down crazy and you could lie on a beach anywhere right now where would you go? 

This summer, I sat in our sweet courtyard almost every day for about 10-15 minutes. This was not the year of vacations. We had planned to go to the beach (Alabama gulf coast) in September but a hurricane cancelled that vacation. I would love to go to all of the cities listed! I've been to beaches in Alabama, Florida, sort of in South Carolina, Nassau, St. Martin, and Galveston. I have stood on the shore of the Mediterranean Sea and on the bank of the Sea of Galilee.




5. Today I wish I had more time -- how cliché is that?? 

6. Insert your own random thought here. We bought our tree at Costco and the tag said 7-8 ft tree . . .well, I think they counted the stick on top! Yes, I'm pretty sure it is leaning a tad! I love my mailbox decoration I made on Sunday - literally between watching livestream worship and teaching zoom Sunday School. One more thought - yes, I know Joyce asked for one random thought . . .my iPhone X battery has decided to not hold a charge. I started going online to get an appointment at the Apple Store on Sunday. The earliest appointment I can get for a battery replacement is Friday afternoon at an authorized Best Buy in a city that is an hour and a half away!!










7 comments:

  1. I love your mailbox decor. I haven't put anything out on mine yet, as what I used last year looked a little raggedy. Christmas Eve service is my favorite part of the entire holiday and I will miss being there in person this year. Hubs and I have been having our own little advent wreath lighting on Sunday evenings, so perhaps we'll adapt for the 24th as well. It won't be the same as a quiet dark church filled with candlelight and singing but we'll try to make it feel special.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Christmas Eve service. We are planning on attending with masks and socially distanced. I am going to have to look for those recipes since I am on WW too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the apple cider donut is from pounddropper.com. She has tons of WW recipes. I sort of made the sheet pancake up using one of her recipes as a beginning point.

      Delete
  3. It was good to read your thoughts here today. Time will tell what our Christmas Eve service will look like this year. Our church has been meeting. We went to two services so we could spread out more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the thought--to stand on the sand and shore of the Sea of Galilee. I'd love to do that.
    I haven't heard if our church will be doing Christmas Eve service. I hope so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it is pretty amazing to walk where Jesus walked and to see the caves where David hid!!

      Delete
  5. Your mailbox decor is very pretty. I'm impressed that you made it. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete