Wednesday, November 4, 2020

Hodgepodge - Peace and sandwiches!

 

Thanks so much to Joyce for our weekly Wednesday Hodgepodge questions. Answer the questions on your own blog, then add your link at From This Side of the Pond.

1. How do you define peace? 

Peace is the absence of turmoil. Maybe it isn’t lack of turmoil but the ability to handle that turmoil with grace. When I hear the word “peace,” I always chuckle because I think of beauty contestants answering the question “What matters most to you?” with the answer “world peace.” (remember the movie Miss Congeniality back in 2000?) In all seriousness, I think of “the peace that passes all understanding” and I remember how many times I have experienced that in my life. The times where the world is crumbling around me but all of a sudden a peace washes over me . . .and that peace does indeed pass all understanding! It is truly unexplainable on a human level. I always feel like someone must be praying for me at exactly that moment (probably poor theology).

2. November 3rd is Election Day in the US of A, but did you know it's also National Sandwich Day? Let's vote, shall we?

egg salad or tuna salad? Depends on the day! Neither of those is my favorite though I do eat both of them a couple of times a year.

chicken salad or grilled chicken on a bun? I love a good chicken salad – no raw onions please!

peanut butter and jelly or a bagel with cream cheese? Could I have a bagel with peanut butter? I love both of those pbj and bagel with cream cheese.

turkey and swiss or ham and cheddar? Turkey and swiss!

grilled cheese or pimento cheese? Once again, a tough choice – depends on the day. I love a good grilled cheese with a bowl of chili but I love a good pimento cheese (again, don’t put any onion in it!) sandwich!

roast beef-corned beef-or make mine veggie? I detest corned beef. I’m not a picky eater but I have never liked corned beef (except corned beef hash out of a can that my mom used to serve . . . I wonder if I would like that now.) I like homemade roast beef sandwiches but not very fond of roast beef lunch meat. My daddy used to make a roast beef sandwich on Sunday nights (roast for Sunday lunch) and he put mayo on the bread, roast beef, pickles, and a little barbeque sauce. I would still like that one!

3. When did you last say (or feel) 'no rest for the weary'

Last week, I realized I am suffering from pandemic fatigue. I guess there is no rest for the weary regarding covid. I’m weary of not being with friends. I know that isn’t the actual answer you were looking for but that is what came to mind.

4. This time last year, where were you? 

Last year, we were attending the Moss Rock Festival in our neighborhood. There is a large neighborhood park two blocks from our house that is open to the public. The Moss Rock Festival has been there every year in early October. As a resident, we received 2 free passes and we would walk down and look at all of the expensive art. My husband would check out the beer garden. We would buy a couple of small things. This year, they are moving the event to a larger outdoor facility due to covid. I don’t think we will be attending. I hope it comes back to our neighborhood next year! Pictures below are from last year.



5. Share a favorite song, verse, or quote featuring the word 'peace'. 

Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

6. Insert your own random thought here. 

I’m so excited. This weekend, I’m going to have my son and daughter-in-law and granddaughter #1 and my daughter and son-in-law and granddaughter #2 around my table. Having us all together brings me such joy. Our daughter and son (twins) and our daughter-in-law all have November birthdays. We are celebrating at our house on Saturday night and then we will celebrate on Sunday at my mother-in-law’s house.


4 comments:

  1. Funny, your mention of favorite foods from one's youth. I've thought about that same thing. All the same, a bit afraid my taste buds will have changed and it isn't the same.
    No wonder you're excited about the coming weekend! I so enjoy my grown son's company. Even tho' we're but 45 min. apart, their busy work life -- and the enduring threat of Covid -- combine to make me rethink every get-together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How nice to have your family around the table! My sister, brother, and sister-in-law all have November birthdays and for years my mom had a big family celebration. Sure do miss those days!! Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You brought back memories of corned beef hash for me - we had it a lot when the kids were little but I'm not sure they'd enjoy it now. How lovely to all be able to get together. Hope you have a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful answers! I am always happy when I meet someone new. Have a great day and you have a lovely blog! HUGS across the miles. XO XO XO XO XO

    ReplyDelete