Wednesday, November 25, 2020

Give Thanks With a Grateful Heart Hodgepodge

1. It's Thanksgiving week in the US of A so let's talk turkey. And by turkey I mean the elephant in the room because it's still 2020 and our blogs are a record of sorts of the times in which we live. 

Do you live in a state (or if you're outside the US, a country) that's instituted restrictions on the size of gatherings in your own home? What do we think about this? (keep it classy folks)

We live in Alabama and our case numbers have sky-rocketed. They have not imposed a number of attendees but our county health department has posted things like this, “celebrating virtually or with the people you live with is the safest choice this Thanksgiving. Limit the number of guests.” They have also posted safety tips. The state department has posted the picture below and I think it is pretty good. We will have some of our family at our home for Thursday evening, but it is a small group and we have all been together at some point most every week since June. I plan to open the door to our screen porch to allow some fresh air and I plan to ask folks to wear their masks while serving their food and to wash hands or use hand sanitizer before they serve. I’m going to use paper plates. Paper plates will not be a popular decision with some family members because they love a more formal table . . .but this is covid.



2. Let's move in a cheerier direction. Will there be corn on your holiday dinner menu? How so? Cornbread-corn pudding-corn chips and dip-cornbread dressing/stuffing-corn chowder-or regular canned, frozen or fresh corn in a bowl...which of the 'corns’ listed is your favorite? 

I made two skillets of cornbread last week and froze them to use in my cornbread dressing. My hubby loves it hot right out of the oven so each pan has a small slice missing!! I LOVE cornbread dressing with turkey gravy. I would be happy with that alone for Thanksgiving 😊 Usually, my daughter-in-law’s mother joins us for Thanksgiving but she is not going to do so this year due to covid. She always brings her mother’s recipe of corn casserole. We won’t have it this year. What is my favorite? Well . . .I don’t buy these but I love Fritos – corn chips!! Oh my goodness – they are so delicious but they are sooooooo fattening. I love fresh corn on the cob – bi-color sweet in the middle of the summer is delish!!

3. What is there a cornucopia of in your home, job, or life currently? 

This is a hard question. What do I have an abundant supply of . . .or plenty of . . .I know! Masks!! That is a lousy answer but I do have a lot of masks. I also have a lot of love in my life – a wonderful husband, great kids and grandkids, other family members, friends (even though we don’t get to see each other) 


4. Have you ever quit something (such as a habit, a food, a time-sucker, a relationship) cold turkey? Is there something you need to quit cold turkey? 

I gave up sweets about three years ago for Lent. I still don’t eat desserts or candy.

5. Share a favorite verse, quote, saying, or song lyric relating to gratitude. 

This is an old song – “Give thanks with a grateful heart. Give thanks to the Holy One. Give thanks because he’s given Jesus Christ his son.”  

6. Insert your own random thought here. 

Our senior pastor just finished a sermon series on the "Enemies of Gratitude" and the series was so good and so timely. To go along with that, I taught a 3 week series on gratitude for our Sunday School class (via zoom). One of the points that has stuck in my head is the need to give thanks in ALL things. I need that reminder more than once a year. How about you?

6 comments:

  1. I need that reminder DAILY! The sermons sound very encouraging.
    Lent is when I gave up soda. When there's a time limit and a purpose, it's easier. And then I never started back up again on the soda--too much sugar.
    Happy Thanksgiving!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are correct - when there is a time limit and a purpose, it is somewhat easier!! I actually realized that I felt a whole lot better and had far fewer stomach issues once I stopped eating sweets and a side benefit was I started to lose weight! Hope your day today is awesome!

      Delete
  2. That's a sobering poster, for sure. So sad, some people just don't get it. Not naming names (LOL) but there's supposed to be a crowd of DIL's relatives at my son's home tomorrow. Tom and I'll be wearing our masks and applying copious amounts of hand sanitizer.
    I think 'Happy Thanksgiving' begins in our hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Singing the lyrics of that song in my head as I type. A very Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been singing those lyrics ever since I typed the post! Happy Thanksgiving!

      Delete