Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Pizza & PB&J & laughter

I cannot tell you how much we love this group of young adults that comes to our home on Tuesday nights. They are all so special to us!!! Our study has ended but last week we gathered together and ate pizza and then made peanut butter and jelly sandwiches - 100 of them - for the Church of the Reconciler (a United Methodist Church located in downtown Birmingham - many homeless folks are members of the church and they serve many homeless folks a meal every single day). Here is a group of folks in the dining room - Laura and Mary Ellen and Jenny and Elisabeth and Meredith and Amy.
This was unusual - the guys were all in the kitchen! Daniel and Lamar and Keith were at the kitchen table and look who is right in the middle of them -- Mark is right in the middle of them talking about hunting and fishing!! Christie was the only girl at the kitchen table!! (remember earlier in the year . . .we bought this table . . .best money we've spent . . .I love having enough seating for at least 8 in the kitchen!!)


Here is one group working on their PB&J sandwiches . . .Mark is eating dessert as he watches! The groups were "sort of" competing with each other - to see who could make the most sandwiches the fastest.

Here is the other group!

Some of them had never heard of putting peanut butter on both insides of the bread to keep the sandwiches from getting soggy!!

Mark loaded all the sandwiches into my car and my car smelled like a giant peanut butter factory!

It is a good feeling to know that someone had a sandwich . . .who might have been hungry otherwise.
Matthew 25:35-40
35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’
37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’
40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’









No comments:

Post a Comment