Wednesday, September 16, 2026

A Beautiful Hodgepodge

 


1. How do you define beauty? 

I think beauty is found in the little things that make life better. It is a beautiful sunset, a great front porch, a good book, or sitting around a table with people you love. It can also be laughing until I cry with friends. Beauty is found in kindness, in people who make others feel welcome, and in the grace we give one another. Beauty isn't about being perfect. It's about finding joy and meaning in the life we've been given, even when things aren't always easy. To me, beauty is something that makes you stop, smile, and be thankful. Our world tends to define beauty as "our looks." 1 Samuel 16:7 - But the Lord said to Samuel, "Do not look on his appearance or on the height of his stature, because I have rejected him, for the Lord does not see as mortals see; they look on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart. I seem to have stepped onto a soapbox - please forgive me! 

2. Have you ever taken a trip by train? If so where did you go and what did you think of the experience? If not do you have any desire to do so? Where would you like to go? (You might find inspiration here-The Best Train Trips in The World) Our son and daughter-in-law, along with three of their best friends, just took the train from Birmingham to New Orleans. They said the first few hours were fun. They flew home haha! We took our kids to ride the "North Pole Express" when they were little. We boarded the train with Santa . . .and rode to the end of a track and back again. I think I would enjoy a luxury train trip through the northeast during autumn when the color of the leaves would be spectacular!  When we were in Austria, we took the train to get around the countryside. I enjoyed those rides every day!

3. Shell shocked, bombshell, bandshell, shellacking, in a nutshell, walking on eggshells...choose one and tell us why you chose it, or how it relates to your life in some way currently. I have been walking on eggshells with one person. I don't want to go into the story on my blog. 

4. Tacos, pistachios, oysters, clams, eggs...your favorite food on the list that comes in/with a shell? Well, I love tacos and I love pistachios. I am not a fan of oysters nor clams. I use eggs in recipes, but don't eat them alone very often. We hosted one of our neighborhood supper clubs at our house on Sunday night. I didn't take a single photo once everyone arrived! We were too busy laughing, talking, and eating. Michele brought the salad and it is my new favorite and it had pistachios in it! Here is a version of the recipe - I don't think Michele chopped the pistachios. https://iowagirleats.com/jennifer-aniston-salad/

5. Are birthdays a big deal in your house? Is your own birthday a big deal in some way? Elaborate. I would like for birthdays to be a bigger deal than they are! Mark's mother always made us all feel so special on our birthday. We have a hard time getting everyone together these days!

6. Insert your own random thought here. I really enjoyed getting out a few fall decorations for our dinner party. Y'all . . .I forgot to light the candles!






14 comments:

  1. It is hard to get everyone together here too, especially the sons-in-laws. Their work schedules make that a challenge. You do learn to make the most of what time you do get all together though. Your table looks pretty. I can relate to forgetting to light the candles : ) My table looks very similar to yours...we might have the same dining room set. Is it Thomasville?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think our furniture is American Drew. We had the china cabinet and a server before the fire . . .they were both pretty banged up so we decided not to replace, but added two smaller pieces of furniture.

      Delete
  2. That is a fantastic definition of beauty and I always wanted to do one of those North Pole Express train rides.
    It sounds like a wonderful get together on Sunday.
    Your fall decorations are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your answer to the beauty question!! i'm right there with ya!
    We have to be intentional about getting our 2 daughters together on the same evening for birthdays. It's a little easier since they both live in the general area. Hubby and oldest have July birthdays and youngest and I have Dec birthdays so we tend to combine then now.

    you would LOVE a trip through our beautiful northeast. I'll be heading north to the high peaks area of the ADK (about 2 hours north of my home) tomorrow where the leaves are starting to turn a glorious red and orange. I'll have to post pics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your answer to the beauty question! You dinner party sounds like it was a lot of fun. I am off to check out that salad recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your definition of beauty was spot on.
    We took the train from Chicago to Portland Oregon a few years back. We did have a bedroom car and we loved the experience. We will do it again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your beauty answer and that verse! Your autumn table looks just right. I'm chuckling about the fact that you forgot to light the candles. Ugh. I hate having to walk on eggshells. I hope the situation is resolved soon. Have a great rest of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm just about to get fall decor out as well; I think they're predicting upper 60s for our morning temp tomorrow and if that is the case, I'll feel a lot more compelled to do so!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful way to think about beauty, especially that it's found in kindness and the little moments together with people you love, that really touched me! That luxury train trip through the northeast during autumn sounds amazing too. And I definitely need to try that pistachio salad, thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful table, even without the candles lighted! I enjoyed your answers today! Happy Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your table is beautiful Lisa. :-)
    I am sending a hug regarding the "walking on eggshells" I have been there, no fun!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like your answer to the "beauty" question and speaking of beauty, your table setting is really beautiful! The dinner sounds like one of those "beautiful" times where everyone was having a good time and enjoying life. A train ride through Austria sounds lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved your answer to the beauty question. I was a daycare provider for 30 years, and sometimes I’d have children who, by appearances, might not be considered the best-looking—but those same children often had the sweetest dispositions, and I could truly see their beauty. I’m convinced there’s no such thing as an ugly child, infant, or even adult. Their actions can be ugly, but it truly is what is on the inside.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, your response to #1 is so good!
    I, too, have been walking on egg shells lately with Tom's health. Baby steps and faith gets me by!
    Now, I'm going to pour a bowl of Pistachios and call it "supper"!

    ReplyDelete