Wednesday, September 9, 2026

Go Team! Hodgepodge

 



1. ARE YOU READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL?  On a scale of 1-10 how much of a fan are you? (10 is never miss a game and 1 is I'm just here for the snacks). Who's your team? If you're playing along today, but live outside the US feel free to sub your feelings about futbol for the more American sport of football. 

We live in the state of Alabama in the middle of the SEC. . . .where who you cheer for matters. "Are you an Alabama or an Auburn fan" is a question asked at almost every new friend gathering. Mark, his twin brother, his twin brother's wife, our kids, our daughter-in-law, our niece and her husband are all Auburn graduates. War Eagle is a common greeting - we've been in other countries and have seen someone sporting an Auburn hat or shirt and as we pass . . .we say, "War Eagle" and they respond! I guess we rank ourselves as fans . . . somewhere near the top. We watch or listen to most of the games. Our daughter has purchased tickets for us to attend a game in November - Auburn vs Samford. haha! I'm a Samford student so how appropriate. I will probably still cheer for Auburn. I love the feel of a college town on game day. Exciting!


this popped up in my memories - this is our granddaughter who is 10 now - I had bought that little dress for her!


This was our win on Saturday night - 17-16.


Our daughter sent us this photo of her two girls - ready for the game.
Just FYI - their daddy is NOT an Auburn fan.


We also cheer for this cutie's team.


We cheer for this one, too!

Our son and daughter-in-law even had an Auburn theme at their gender reveal. 


We've even had on Auburn attire in several Christmas card photos.
In the photo below, you can definitely tell how much bigger
I was then . . than now. 80 pounds!

Now that I've bored you to death . . .let's move along!

2. What's something you currently have a game plan for managing? 

I am formulating my game plan for this week. I have several big writing assignments due for school. I have to work Wednesday until 6:00 and then we are going to Bible Study. I have to work Thursday and I hope I can find some time to write our Sunday School lesson. On Friday, I need to finish everything for school, change our sheets, put together a chicken casserole, buy some flowers for the dining room table, set the table . . .because Saturday we need to drive down to our daughter's house (2 hours each way) to watch our 7 year old granddaughter be escorted onto the field by her daddy for homecoming and then stay for part of the game. Sunday morning I have to be at work at 7:00, teach Sunday School from 9:45-10:30, help host a new member lunch at the church from 12:00 - 1:00 and clean up . . and then hurry home because we are hosting a neighborhood supper club group at our house at 6:30. I may need to formulate my game plan on an excel spreadsheet. Lest you think we are always on the go . . .we didn't go anywhere except to run an errand or two on Friday or Saturday of this past weekend! (of course, I did work on Sunday morning, but it was a light crowd) We did go to dinner at a friend's house on Sunday night.

work selfie

3. Do you like chicken wings? Hot, mild, or some other flavor? What's a must have food for you on a tailgate menu? I know tailgating isn't as big of a thing outside the US of A as it is inside the US of A, but you can also answer the question this way-what's a must have food for you at a sporting event viewing party? 

I do not like chicken wings. If I were a guest in your home and you served them to me, I would eat them. I don't order them or cook them. Our kids LOVE wings. I think they all like them spicy. I love to make Big Wheel sandwiches for tailgate parties, along with brown sugar brownies. Speaking of Big Wheel sandwiches - I need the round King's Hawaiin loaves of bread and haven't been able to find them. I just looked online and supposedly Walmart has them, but I haven't seen them in the store.

4. Teams typically have strict playbooks they follow. What is one unwritten rule or piece of advice in your 'life playbook' you think everyone should know?

Mark and I don't discuss anything important after 7:00 p.m. at night. 

5. This is the week we remember and mourn all that was lost and changed on September 11, 2001. I always include a spot for bloggers to share anything they'd like to share about 9/11. Share as much or as little as you like. 

I, like most of you, will never forget where I was when I saw the second tower go down. I remember wanting my children (freshmen in high school at the time) and my husband home in our house together.

6.Insert your own random thought here. 

I didn't blog about our weekend because we really didn't do very much. We did cook dinner a couple of times.


I made shrimp and cheese grits and fresh corn on Saturday night.


I made shrimp tacos for lunch on Sunday.


We had a great meal with our friends - grilled pork chops, Asian slaw, broccolini, and grilled bread.


For Labor Day, Mark smoked two small pork tenderloins on the Pit Barrel Cooker (smoker) and I cooked some green beans and some field peas. We had some leftover Asian slaw (not pictured).


This may have been the best pork tenderloin I've ever eaten.



2 comments:

  1. It sounds like you really get behind supporting the football. Fab photos!
    It sounds like you are so busy at the moment. Yum to what you ate over the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your upcoming weekend sounds like so much. I'm sure lots of it will be fun, but I'd definitely need a written plan to manage that. Go VOLS : )

    ReplyDelete