Wednesday, December 7, 2022

Bucking the Trend Hodgepodge

I'm joining up with Hodgepodge! Thanks to Joyce for the questions.

1. The Hodgepodge lands on National Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day. Have you visited the memorial? Any desire to do so? Have you visited other WW2 sites and memorials? Do you think we do a good job of teaching current and younger generations about the events of WW2? Do you think it matters? We did go to the memorial back in 1987. It was very moving. I’ve been to the Children’s Holocaust Museum in Washington, D.C. and I’ve been to Yad Vashem in Jerusalem. Going through there and seeing the atrocities that happened during World War II physically hurt. I’m not sure what curriculum is used to teach that time period in schools so I can’t say whether or not we are doing a good job.

2. Many books, both fiction and non-fiction have been written with WW2 as the setting. Is this a 'genre' you gravitate towards? Share with us a book (or two) you've enjoyed that is set in some way around WW2. If you're not a reader, how about a movie? One book I’ve read that was excellent is All the Light I Cannot See. I also loved The Nightingale. It is not a genre I read often but sometimes I read different book club selections for more variety.

3. According to Better Homes and Gardens Magazine there are seven popular color trends for the holidays this year. They are- red and white, Victorian blue, pops of pink, rich shades of green, rainbow hues, black and white, and nostalgic retro colors. Are you 'trendy' when it comes to holiday decorating in 2022? How so? Does your tree have a 'theme'? Over the years, I have picked a “theme” and decorated using elves or santas or trees. This year, we are in an apartment and we have a tree that sums up 2022. It is tiny and cost a lot and it is giving us the finger (I hope I haven’t offended anyone). This year, I have a star on the front door and on the back door, a couple of small decorations sitting in the apartment, an advent wreath on the kitchen table, and a tiny tree.



4. What's a current trend you buck? I’m usually late to a trend! I did buy a pair of wider bottom jeans recently. Have you seen some of the dresses this year? I usually love to pick up a dress or two at Target just for something I can throw on. They look like prairie dresses this year. I don’t think I’ll jump on that trend. I am also not a fan of the longer length dresses and skirts. I prefer right above the knee so I’ve been holding out on buying many dresses and skirts.

5. What's your favorite chocolate something? I love sugar free Fudge Popsicles and I love Built Bars. I don’t eat candy, cookies, cakes, pies, or normal ice cream anymore.

6. Insert your own random thought here. I miss my (our) house. I’ve tried not to whine but the days are short and dark and it has been raining and we don’t have a start date yet . . . and I’m just a tad sad. I KNOW that I have a lot for which to be grateful and I am SO VERY THANKFUL. I’m just having a sad day (I’m writing this on Tuesday evening – 5:30 – waiting on the young adults to descend upon the apartment. Maybe by tomorrow I'll be back to my positive self.)


12 comments:

  1. I thought the whole cemetery was beautiful and my husband and I spent a lot of time there reading about the memorial at Cemetery of the Pacific. It is hard to downsize. I do miss our previous home which was much larger. We do have our down days and that is being human.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for visiting and for your kind words!!

      Delete
  2. Your tree is lovely. You have not offended me, but perhaps that long leader is merely lifting the star high. Sounds as if you are in the midst of big changes. I try not to whine as well, but the days are dark. Thank goodness for Christmas lights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband said the same thing -- he said it was like the star that led the wise men . . . way up in the sky!!

      Delete
  3. The days are so short with darkness so early. And with the dreary weather it plays a part of how we feel or at least it does for me. It is okay to whine and feel down once in a while but just pick yourself back up and go again. I do not like the clothing from Target, either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got up this morning and was indeed much better! The days will start getting longer again on December 22 . . .the light ALWAYS wins. I have to remind myself of that.

      Delete
  4. Okay, I laughed out loud at your reference to the tree's 'finger'! "All the Light I Cannot See" sounds vaguely familiar, but I'm pretty sure I've not read it. I'm going over to Goodreads to check it out now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often think we have a similar sense of humor!!

      Delete
  5. I like your little tree : ) We had one Christmas in a rented fully furnished apartment and had to 'make do' so to speak in terms of decorations. But there was also less pressure and expectation which I think is what makes everyone cranky this time of year. I do think it's okay to feel what we feel, so no need to apologize for that. I hope your project gets moving sooner rather than later. I'm sure it is so frustrating. Honestly anything home build or remodel is a real test of patience, fortitude and humor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I woke this morning with a better attitude. Sleep helps! You are right - there has been way less pressure! Our sweet next door neighbors (at our house) called today and they are going to run a cord from their house to our front yard so that we can have white lights in our trees like everyone else in the neighborhood. People have been so very kind.

      Delete
  6. I have sad days all the time; you're totally allowed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been out of touch for a while with so much going on in my life and I was lost because of my illness but I'm stronger and I am here to tell you about a natural remedy that is guaranteed to make you wonder why your doctor didn't tell you about it. Then, on the other hand, it is pretty obvious why your doctor didn't, because that's not his job, is it? But, seriously, promise me you won't get too angry with your health practitioner, it's really not their fault. They can only practice what they're told to practice, right? When your health is at risk there's no time for Tom foolery, you've got to get down to the cause and nip it in the bud. So you've been suffering from painful gout attacks have you? Well, allow me to give you a new perspective on the solution to what plagues you I was once in your shoe until my college friend introduce me to Dr Itua herbal center which cure my hiv/herpes,Lymphedema, after drinking it for two weeks as instructed, Dr Itua is an africa herbal doctor who has natural power to cure all human illness diseases I believe Dr Itua so much because he help me cure my hiv/ herpes which has being my burden in life so I promised Dr Itua that I will testify about his work online after curing me and that is what I'm doing here so please if you are sick from those diseases do not hesitate to write Dr Itua Herbal Center On Email: drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Or chat with him on his online store www.drituaherbalcenter.com

    ReplyDelete