Thursday, October 28, 2021

Sunday in Ireland

We started today slower than most mornings. Breakfast was at 9:00. Suitcases outside the door at 9:00. Backpacks, etc. in the lobby by 10:00. Walked to the local Methodist Church at 10:40 for services beginning at 11:00. We took up the back two long rows and added at least a third to their attendance numbers. The pastor was from Zimbabwe and the worship leader was from Burma. Their congregation, though small, had great diversity -- much more diversity than our church at home. I will tell you that it was VERY warm in the little church and I may have seen a few heads nodding . . .not because it was boring but because we were still and it was warm.


After church, quick bathroom break and we boarded the buses for our drive to Cork. We arrived at Blarney Woolen Mills for lunch, shopping, and Blarney Castle and Blarney Stone.


Mark and I were the only ones who choose to eat at the pub – Christy’s pub and bar. Blarney Woolen Mills was established in 1823. They have a great store and a couple of places to eat. Christy's Pub is named after the founder -- Christy Kelleher.

After lunch, most of us walked to the castle. I did not climb the steps but Mark did - my back was still killing me but this is the only day that I let it get the best of me by not climbing the castle stairs. Mark did NOT kiss the stone. They hang you out a window upside down!!! Mark said it was a tough climb. While Mark was climbing in the castle stairs, I was sitting on a park bench with two lovely people who live in Ireland. The woman heard me talking to Mark and after he walked off, she asked me where I was from. I said the US . . .and a state she had probably never heard of. (Mark found out that no one knows where Alabama is but if he said "we live next to Florida" they immediately understood - seriously!!). She asked what state and I told her that I was from Alabama. She got so excited. She said that her friend lives in Alabama and I sounded just like her when she talks on the phone! I visited with them for about 15 minutes and then wandered around the castle - peeked into the cave, etc.







look at the blue sky - we had another
gorgeous day weatherwise to go
along with beautiful castles and scenery

Our new friend, Linda, did kiss the Blarney Stone and I borrowed her picture from Facebook so you could see the "upside down" and held by two strong young men picture!

These pictures are from Mark's phone of the inside of the Blarney Castle:






I decided to walk back to Blarney Woolen Mills and wait for Mark there. I had a true moment of panic - I walked down the way we had come but at the intersection, nothing looked familiar. Mark called at that moment and I said, "I'm lost." After I calmed down, I realized how I needed to walk but just for a moment . . .panic!!

We did a ton of souvenir shopping. At this point of the trip, I still hadn't purchased anything for me . . .and spoiler alert . . .I never found anything. I should have purchased that throw in the cute little town with the thatched roofs.  We stayed until time to head to our cool hotel. We are staying at The Trident in Kinsale. Our hotel is right on the water with lots of boats in the harbor.



We actually went for a walk and facetimed with our kids back in Alabama. We also ran into Roger and Linda, our new friends, and took some photos.

I should have stood up - this is a weird
picture of me!

Mark made friends with the women fishing from the dock . . .and of course, they allowed him to fish. I think they were amazed at his casting skills.



We had a private dining experience – food was excellent. Mark said it was the best salmon he had ever eaten. There is salmon fishing here in Ireland (not right now – not the season) and we are wondering if all of the fish is fresh local fish that they have frozen.

Mark's dessert plate -
most of our menus included
an appetizer, main course, and
dessert -- I didn't eat the desserts :-)

Looks like I ordered chicken
that night!

part of our group -
the view was spectacular

I am 99% sure this is Mark's
appetizer . . .not a dessert. I'm
pretty sure that is cabbage on the bottom.
It is probably some kind of salmon dish
because he ate it a lot!!

This was the "best salmon" Mark
has ever eaten.


After dinner, we met in this really nice lounge for Bishop John to do his Wesley presentation and then we were off to bed.

This photo was actually when we
were waiting to go in to dinner but
our presentation was in this
room later in the evening.


4 comments:

  1. That food -- particularly Mark's salmon -- looks wonderful! I love when care is taken to make it visually appealing as well as tasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is amazing what a visually appealing plate does for us!

      Delete
  2. The food all looks delicious! I thought your chicken plate was a hot fudge sundae at first! LOL What a great time you all had! Thanks for taking us along! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those potatoes and gravy DO INDEED look like a hot fudge sundae!

      Delete