Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Wednesday Hodge Podge


WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 18, 2015

Wednesday Hodge Podge - Volume 209

Here are Joyce's questions to this week's Wednesday Hodgepodge. Answer on your own blog, then hop back to her blog by clicking here share your answers with the universe. See you there! 


1. When did you last have to interact, either by phone or in person, with someone in a government run agency? On a scale of 1-10, how would you rate the experience?  Well . . .my hubby is having to do that today.  We mailed our taxes (house) . . .and this week, we received a delinquent tax notice.  Where is that check???  So we stopped payment on the check yesterday and Mark was going to the tax assessor's office today . . .I'm very glad he is doing it and I'm not.
2. The current governor of Wisconsin is considering a run for President next time around. Walker attended Marquette University, but never graduated. In terms of any candidate running for the office of President (not asking here if you agree or disagree with Scott Walker's politics) would the lack of a college degree influence your vote or no? Would that be a factor in your support of any candidate running for public office, even a role less weighty than President?  hmmmm . . . really good question.  I think a college degree should probably be required in this day and time.  Heck, a college degree is needed for most ANY job these days so I think our president should have one.
3. When did you last visit a place or site named for George Washington or Abraham Lincoln, and what was that place or site? I guess the last time would have been almost ten years ago -- Washington DC - monuments.  I was trying to think if I have driven on a "Washington" street or anything like that lately.  Can't think of a thing!
4. February 16th was President's Day in the US, but did you know it was also National Almond Day? I didn't think so : ) Do you like almonds? If so, what's a food/dish/recipe you enjoy that contains almonds?  I do like almonds . . .I LOVE almond joy candy bars and I love salted almonds and I love almond skillet cake.  I need to share that recipe!  My best friend, Phella, makes it and it is so yummy!!
5.The television program Saturday Night Live celebrated it's 40th anniversary this past weekend. Were/are you a fan of the show? If so what has been your favorite (or one of your favorite) skits, sayings, or characters that came out of the program?  I was a teenager when it started . . .and was not allowed to watch it!!  I think it is hilarious.  I loved the Blues Brothers and the Church Lady . . and there is one where Patrick Swayze and Chris Farley are auditioning for Chippendale dancer positions - that one makes me laugh just to type about it! We enjoyed some of the Saturday Night Live anniversary show but we wanted to see more of the old skits.  I was also a little sad when Paul McCartney sang.  I don't want to say anything negative though.
6. Anything purple within ten feet of you? What is it? I work in a church and it is Lent - so purple in all sorts of places.  We had our Shrove Tuesday pancake dinner last night and even had purple (and yellow and green) tablecloths.
7. Back in December I asked you to submit a question for a future HP as part of a giveaway I was hosting. I grabbed this one from those entries, submitted by Zoanna who blogs over at Penchant for Pens. Thanks Zoanna!
She asks, "How often do you make your bed, and how do you like to make it-pull the covers all the way up over the pillows, tuck the covers in around the pillows, or place all the pillows on top of the covers?"  I try to NEVER leave my house without making the bed.  Right now, our daughter's cat is with us and our comforter is white and so the comforter is folded up in the closet and our bed is covered with towels.  Very attractive - NOT!  He is worth it.  Normally, all pillows go on top.
8. Insert your own random thought here. Today is Ash Wednesday and the beginning of Lent.  How many of you have ever been to Mardi Gras/Carnival?  What was your favorite thing about it? Yes, today is Ash Wednesday and we are preparing for our Ash Wednesday service - the lady that usually makes the copies of the bulletins is out sick so I helped with those today.  About Mardi Gras --  I have been to Mardi Gras . . .but not the regular one.  One time my husband and I went to New Orleans for Labor Day weekend.  It was a "surprise" trip that I planned and gave him for his birthday (which is in August).  As we were flying to New Orleans, my seatmate on the plane asked if I was going for Southern Decadence . . .I thought that sounded like a wonderful dessert.  Imagine our surprise.  I took lots of fun pictures and we went to a parade . . .heck, we were staying at the Royal Sonesta hotel right in the middle of the French Quarter.  On another note, our son and daughter-in-law lived in Mobile for a few years and they went to the parades and even went to a Mardi Gras ball.  I think that would be so much fun.

1 comment:

  1. I'm a new mother in law too : ) I know what you mean about Paul...wish he'd chosen one that was less difficult to sing, although maybe they're all a bit too hard for him to sing now? Almond skillet cake sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete