Monday, February 23, 2015

Steak - It's what's for dinner

It is what is for dinner . . .looking at those apostrophes in my title.  Doesn't look right!!  Trying a new way to cook steak.  It is cold and yucky outside.  We always grill our steaks.  We had one large steak left from some dinner or another and I froze it and wrote on the package - "one steak large enough for Mark & Lisa to share."   So . . .I marinated the steak in Ken's Light Caesar Salad dressing (my go to marinade!) and a lot of Cavender's.  I melted one tablespoon olive oil and one tablespoon butter in an iron skillet.  I peppered the heck out of the steak.  I let the butter and oil heat and get HOT and added the steak.  I let it sit perfectly still in the skillet for three minutes and then I turned it over.  I let it sit (or would that be set? surely not???) in the skillet on the burner (medium high heat) for three minutes on the other side.  I then put the iron skillet into a preheated 450 degree oven.  At the three minute mark, I put a pat of butter on top.  I closed the oven door and left the steak for 5 more minutes.  (it was still a tad frozen in the middle when I started).  I took it out of the oven and wrapped the skillet in heavy duty foil and left it for 8 minutes.  I know it sounds like a lot of butter (and it seemed like it to me, too!) but most of it was left in the skillet (and NO, we didn't pour it over our steaks!!)  It was delicious and cooked just right.  I read several recipes on how to do this and Martie Duncan had the best one.  (remember her?  she was on one of those cooking competition shows and she just happens to be a friend of a friend of mine!)  She recommends making an herb butter to use once the steak is in the oven.  I just used plain old Land o' Lakes butter (you know why?  I worked all day and looked up the recipe when I got home and plain old butter was the best I could do tonight!!).  It was delicious.  I would definitely cook a steak this way again.


We enjoyed a salad with our steak - mixed greens, fresh avocado (I LOVE avocado - and I hated it until 10 years or so ago!!), feta cheese and a few tomato wedges.  Perfect dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment