Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Cooking on Saturday morning!!

On Saturday morning, Mark went to the farm to harrow (is that how you spell it??) some fields.  Every year, they plant all sorts of green stuff for the animals to eat.  They have planted turnip greens and spinach and rye grass and who knows what else.  He rode the tractor from 10:30 a.m. until 5:00 p.m.  He said the tractor was going about 1 mile an hour!

So . . .I was home alone!  I had already prepared my Sunday School lesson and felt like cooking something!  I took a quick inventory of ingredients and googled some recipes and started cooking.

I made blueberry muffins and ham and cheese muffins.  I froze them in individual baggies so I can zap one for a quick breakfast.

(I had snapped some pics so that I could blog about this . . .but this afternoon I was really sad and didn't want to blog about my real feelings . . .so I'm blogging about recipes!  I'm sad for the craziest reason!  I had requested copies of my parent's death certificates and they came today.  Just sitting there reading their dates of death and dates of birth made me so very sad.  It is amazing to me that they have been dead so very long and I still miss them.  So . . .I'm going to keep my mask in place and talk about fun recipes because I sure don't have any intentions of probing any deeper into this death certificate matter!! :-)  Yes - smiley face!  Yes - I have a smile on my face!)



I'm going to be honest . . .I love cooking in my new kitchen.  How did I ever live without an island??  See that pretty brown egg?  It is from some local chickens!  I wish I could buy all local items.


It took a while to clean up all that mess!!


Look at that blueberry muffin batter . . .can you see the flecks of lemon zest right by the spoon!!  I love fresh lemon.  I was sad that you couldn't really taste the lemon.


My finished project!  One dozen fresh blueberry/lemon muffins and one dozen ham and cheese muffins!  Would you like the recipes?


Lemon Blueberry Muffins

3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup lemon juice (I used more!!) - mix these two ingredients together and set aside
Mix together:
2 cups self rising flour
heaping 3/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp of baking soda
Add one fresh egg, lightly beaten
1/4 cup vegetable oil
Gently stir in milk/lemon juice mixture (it will be curdled - it is supposed to look like that!!)
Fold in a cup of fresh blueberries (that you have already rinsed off!!)
Spray 12 cup muffin pan with pam
Fill muffin cups - mine were full
Bake at 400 degrees (preheated) for 18 minutes.  
The original recipe called for baking a longer time but my oven had been on a higher temp for the ham and cheese muffins and mine were done at 400 degrees in 18 minutes.
Enjoy!
A lemon glaze would be really good on these!!

Ham and Cheese Muffins

2 cups self rising flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 cup milk - I used skim because that is what we had in the fridge
1/2 cup mayo (I used Hellman's light - once again - what was in the fridge)
1/2 cup shredded cheese (generous)
1/2 cup chopped ham (generous)

Mix flour and soda.  Mix milk and mayo and add to dry ingredients.  Throw in cheese and ham and gently stir.  Don't over mix.

Spray 12 muffin cups with pam
Divide mixture evenly between 12 muffin cups.

Bake at 425 degrees (preheated) for 16 minutes.

Enjoy!!

p.s.  The recipes I used were originally Taste of Home recipes -- I totally changed the blueberry one.  The Ham and Cheese muffin recipe is pretty similar to theirs (other than my notes and words like generous!!)



No comments:

Post a Comment