Saturday, June 29, 2013

Little Donkey, Steel City Pops and friends!!

Several weeks ago . . . actually quite a few weeks ago now . . .our friends, Preston and Frances invited us to meet them and our other friends, Dean and Donna at a restaurant in town, Little Donkey for dinner. It was a dark and stormy night (I love typing that!!! but it was true!!!) so a perfect night for gathering in a warm and dry restaurant and laughing the evening away. We started the night with a round of drinks - this restaurant has the BEST margaritas so you know that was my drink of choice and some folks had a beer. It was Friday night and we had all had a long week. Since Little Donkey is a mexican restaurant, we also had chips and salsa. This restaurant is more than mexican though . . .they smoke all their own meats and use lots of local produce. The menu is not your typical mexican restaurant menu. The first time I went there was when the restaurant was new and I HATED it. I didn't think I would ever go back. Then my friend, Lynn, invited me to go again and I did and the food was good. The third time it was even better. It actually seems like maybe I have been one other time also.  I think my problem was that I was trying to order food like I would get in your corner Mexican restaurant - wrong.   That night I ordered PAMBAZO  which cost $9.75 -- their description: Our homemade bun is dredged in guajillo and toasted on the griddle then filled with seared chorizo, potatoes, queso fresco, romaine lettuce and drizzled with crema.  It was on the sandwich menu but hear this warning - anything that is dredged and drenched has to be eaten with a fork.  Anyway, we spent the evening laughing and talking and eating. The perfect way to unwind after a really long week at work. When we finished eating it was still raining. We decided to run down the sidewalk to Steel City Pops.

sorry for the blurriness of the picture - Preston took it on his phone- see vulcan in the background - "steel" city pops - get it?

If you live within driving distance of Birmingham and have not been to Steel City Pops, get in your car today and drive to Birmingham. They are soooooo delicious. No one is paying me to write this blog post. They have no idea that I'm even writing about them. They make all their popsicles right there with real ingredients. My favorite is the toasted coconut. There are actually big hunks of toasted coconut down at the bottom of the stick. The buttermilk one tastes sort of like cheesecake. The blood orange is good. The peanut butter one is delicious. DO NOT THINK THEY ARE TOO EXPENSIVE. They are so worth every penny. This is a real treat. It was quite funny because while we were standing there eating our popsicles, several people we knew came into the store . . .our friend, Kyle and his son, Andy, who had just arrived home from college walked in. There are children in Steel City Pops but it is as much an adult store as a children's place.

Anyway, this was a great way to start the weekend - a margarita, mexican food, lots of laughter and good conversation with friends, and a popsicle - doesn't that sound like a great Friday night?  What is your favorite Friday night activity after a long week?

No comments:

Post a Comment