Wednesday, June 13, 2018

It's a wedding Hodge Podge

1. What happens to the mail at your house?
We've been trying to get the mail out of the box and immediately throw away the junk mail . . .never bringing the junk mail in to the house. This is great in theory, isn't it? Sometimes Mark gets the mail and leaves it all on the weight bench in the garage. Sometimes I get the mail and leave it in my car for several days. It seems like the majority of our mail these days is junk mail.
2. Something you always splurge on? Any guilt associated with the splurge?
I get a chair massage every two weeks. Several years ago, our minister's wife hired a massage therapist at Christmas time. She paid for 1 1/2 hours and told me to email the staff - first come; first served - 10 or 15 minute slots. Some of us loved it so much that we asked her to keep coming to the office every other week. If you live near me, Hope is awesome! She always runs specials for new clients. No guilt!
3. There are many, but what are two important questions you think every bride and groom should ask/answer before they plan their walk down the aisle?
Since our daughter just got married a few weeks ago, I should have all sorts of questions and answers but . . .
1) the couple definitely needs to talk about their religious faith and they need to talk about whether or not they want to have children - yes, I know you said just two questions and my response isn't even in the form of a question. I also think they should discuss, "how will we spend/save our money and for what are we willing to go into debt."
2) the reason I needed to save the number two question . . what team do you support? We live right in the heart of the SEC and football is king here. We love our new son-in-law to death but he cheers for the other team! I'm laughing as I type these words because I never thought dear daughter would marry someone who cheers for the other team so this lets me know that love conquers all things! I have a friend who married years ago (back when I got married) and she was Baptist and he was Methodist. She was for Auburn and he was for Alabama. She told him that she would rather change denominations than teams. I still chuckle about that . . .this is the south. What can I say? I found this picture on the internet and this shows how crazy football fans can be about a house divided. I want to see this house in real life!




4. What's the best advice your father ever gave you?
There are many things in life that you don't want to do that you must do. He's been dead longer than I knew him but I can still see and hear him say those words. Some of my hubby's best advice to our daughter and son-in-law is never live beyond your means and don't fight about money. I totally agree with the first part but I think the second part is almost unavoidable at times.
5. Your favorite movie where a father features heavily in the storyline?
Father of the Bride with Steve Martin -- hands down! Of course, I'll read all of your answers and think to myself, "I should have picked that one." I just sat here and read a bunch of quotes from Father of the Bride - I love that movie!


6. Insert your own random thought here.
Yesterday, I wrote my first post about the wedding. Last night, our daughter sent us the link for all of the pictures. They are beautiful!! how fitting that today's hodge podge is about weddings! I'm going to do several posts about the wedding because my blog serves as a memory keeper for me, too. I would love for you to come and visit over the next few weeks.

all of those tiny buttons . . and yes, I'm wearing
two watches but I took one off before the
wedding!

daddy's first look - Father of the bride!


3 comments:

  1. Lisa, I have a similar photo of me doing up the buttons on my daughter's wedding gown. It was such a beautiful day, and I can hardly believe they are coming up on their 3-year anniversary. In some ways, I wish I could do the whole day again. It was that magical!

    It's amazing how much junk mail we all get! Honestly, millions of trees could be saved if junk mail was eliminated.

    I've got to tell you, I hate the SEC. I call it the Snobby Elite Conference. My husband (who is a UF alum and a die-hard Gator fan) says "they're snobby and elite, cause they're the best." Ha! In our family, we have that rivalry too. He's SEC all the way, and I'm for anybody else, except for Ohio State.

    Can't wait to see more of your wedding photos.

    Love,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not just in the south - although I do acknowledge that team loyalty is a much more universal thing in the south. My sister, from Chicago, Bears fan, actually married a cursed Packer-backer! Oy vey. They tried several things - they found stuffed dolls of football players from each team, with velcroed limbs they could tear off and throw at the TV. Eventually, they have settled on not showing any loyalty. I'm sure they speak or shout their loyalties, but there's no decor for either team in their house.
    Visiting from the Hodgepodge - my first Hodgepodge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll have to go look at your wedding post. That first look with the Dad gets me every time. Congratulations to the newlyweds!

    ReplyDelete