Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Thanksgiving HodgePodge

I'm thankful for Joyce and her willingness to write all these questions every week and for her allowing all of us to link up together to make new friends!!  Answer the questions and
link up!

1. Tradition...how tightly do you cling to tradition when it comes to holiday gatherings and celebrations? For instance do you always do the cooking, never eat at home, always go to grandma's, never miss the parade, always watch football, never change the menu, always eat at 2 PM, etc.? Have you ever celebrated Christmas or Thanksgiving away from hearth, home, and family? How did that feel?

Tradition ranks pretty high in our family.  We ALWAYS (except one year when her power was out!) eat dinner on Thanksgiving day at Grandmother's house (my mother-in-law).  She likes eating dinner rather than lunch because we can light all the candles on the table.  She ALWAYS cooks the turkey and dressing (stuffing for non-southerners) and she makes several pies.  I always help with the sides (as does anyone else attending who wants to cook something).  She ALWAYS decorates with a cornucopia and fresh fruit and she has some candles that are as old as my husband.

last year's table at her house




There was one other year that we didn't eat at her house.  Our new-born preemie twins had just arrived -- 1986 -- and we had only been home from the hospital for a couple of days.  My mother-in-law and father-in-law (that was his last thanksgiving with us but we didn't know that, of course) brought dinner to us at our house after the family had eaten.  She even brought candles for our table.  She and my father-in-law took the babies into the other room so that we could sit down and eat an actual meal.

My mom died when I was a sophomore in high school and for quite a few years after her death, I went to Andalusia, AL with my best friend and her family for Thanksgiving.  I loved those times with her family and they always treated me just like one of the family.

2. Help...is it easy for you to ask for help or are you a do-it-yourselfer? How is that a good/bad thing?


I wish I could ask for help! There is something deep within me that has the hardest time ever asking for help - especially from someone outside the actual family unit.  I'm so stubborn that it is an unattractive trait in me!!


3. Abundance...what is there an abundance of in your kitchen?


cheese!  I don't know why but there is a lot of grated cheese in my refrigerator right now!!  There are always diet pepsis in my kitchen!!  There are quite a few apples - I made cranberry/apple bake for Thursday and there are still apples to be eaten.

4. Name...the smallest thing you're thankful for? the biggest?


The smallest . . .perhaps this sweet baby girl???  She brings such joy to our lives!  Even smaller . . .a glass of water to drink??  Yes, I'm ending those with question marks because I'm asking, "is that small enough?" "Do I need to think even smaller?"

the biggest? wow - tough question . . God's grace??  The ability to live in a country where we have freedom??


5. Key...What do you think is the key to living a more grateful life?


Being aware is a great start!!  Everything in this world was created by a loving God.  We get to enjoy this place and all of the blessings in our lives.  Start each day with a moment of thanks - thanks for the fact that my eyes opened!  I can be thankful for the sunshine that is streaming through my window.  I am thankful for clean drinking water and an abundance of HOT water for a shower.


6. State your own random thought here.

I'm thankful for a few days away from the office.  I TRULY love my job but sometimes it is nice to sit at the kitchen island and blog . . .I'm also getting ready to head out to help my daughter pack up her kitchen.  She and Scott have bought a house and are moving tomorrow. 

I can't wait to read other posts today to see for what others are thankful!

Give thanks with a grateful heart!!

2 comments:

  1. Enjoy your days off and have a happy Thanksgiving, Lisa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so agree with you about 'being aware' of God's blessings! Each day I pray that God will help me recognize them and give him thanks for his abundant mercy and grace.

    I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete