Wednesday, November 8, 2017

If You're Ever In a Jam, Here I am . . . Hodgepodge

Join us with Joyce at From This Side of the Pond for her Wednesday Hodgepodge! Copy the questions and answer in your blog and link up!

1.  In a rut, in a jam, in the groove, out of synch, off balance, out of touch...which saying best fits some area of your life currently (or recently)? Explain.
I'm not sure which one fits right now but when I read the question, I immediately thought of Lucy and Ethel singing this song -
If you're ever in a jam, here I am. If you're ever in a mess, S-O-S. If you ever feel so happy, you land in jail... I'm your bail. It's friendship, friendship, just a perfect blendship.
I know you won't believe this but I recently used those lyrics in a Sunday School lesson!

I think maybe I'm "off balance" just a tad (those who know me SHALL NOT laugh - I know I'm always a little off balance!!)  This time of year does that to me.  When you work on a church staff, the time from Labor Day through Christmas Eve can be pretty intense.  Add in a stewardship campaign in October and a few other crazy things and life gets hectic.

2. What is it about somebody else's style of work (coworker/employee/shared volunteer project/household chore) that makes you crazy? Why?
I hate hate hate when people do the bare minimum and I think I shared this a few weeks ago . . .I really don't do well with lazy people.  Get off your butt and do your share (more than your share is even better!) - know what I mean?  I'm blessed because the majority of folks in our office are somewhat like me - they want things to be the best they can be and they are willing to work hard to achieve those goals.

3. What's a tradition that always makes you feel at home?
For those of you who have grown children, you may understand this.  I love when I have all my children under my own roof - especially for a meal.  Home is where my heart is and my heart is with these people.

hubby, daughter, granddaughter

such a good pop!!

Dinner on the porch (sorry for the
quality of the picture!)

blowing out the candles
Happy birthday to you!


4. A favorite song with a girl's name in the title or lyrics? Any reason why this is a particular favorite?
I made the mistake of going to google . . .songs with girl's name in the title - how can I pick just one???  The first one that came to my mind doesn't have a girl's name in the title - just the description - Brown Eyed Girl (because I have a brown eyed girl I love so much!).

This is going to date me . . but I loved the Beach Boys and I loved Barbara Ann.  I also love Breath of Heaven (Mary's song) by Amy Grant.  I actually remember the very first time I heard that song.  You can see that I only made it to the "B's" on the song list so I had better stop or I'll name them all!!

5. Share a favorite quote, verse, or saying relating to gratitude or thanksgiving.
So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live your lives in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness. Colossians 2:6-7 -- not JUST thankful but OVERFLOWING with thankfulness.

I also like this:
borrowed from the internet!

6. Insert your own random thought here.
I love Thanksgiving.  It is truly one of my favorite times of the year.  We get together with family and friends and we gather around a table.  What is it about table fellowship?  I love it!

Speaking of Thanksgiving . . .I think I'm going to order this for my granddaughter today!


Last but certainly not least, I can't get the shooting on Sunday out of my mind.  I'm praying for all of those folks who were sitting in church when the gunman arrived . .. and I'm praying for the families of those who died and for the survivors.  Come, Lord Jesus, Come!

5 comments:

  1. We had the same thing for Nr. 3. Home is where our kids are and where we are together.
    Love the dress for your granddaughter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa,

    I totally understand about family being together. Our kids are grown. DD#2 and her husband just moved to Maine. This is a real adjustment for us to have one more than a thousand miles from home. I keep expecting her to return to East Tennessee but that's just not going to happen or at least not anytime soon. I love your quote. I'm totally grateful for everything I have. God is so good to us! We live in a world where people's work ethics just aren't the same as they were 30+ years ago and then we have this wave of evil among us making no one feel safe even in church. It's truly sad how our world is slipping. Thanks for visiting. Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    I am with you regarding #2!!!

    My boys love Thanksgiving. I am so thankful for that. They love heading to my parents and enjoying Thanksgiving with all the family.

    Have a blessed Thanksgiving!
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a fellow Hodgepodger visiting blogging sites listed on Joyce Daley's blog page.
    I say a heartfelt "Amen" to your answer to question #3. I adore our grandkids too. Sadly, our two grandsons live in San Diego and liven in NH we don't get to see them often enough.
    My heart also aches for the people affected by the church shooting in Texas. The song that keeps playing in my head is "This world is not my home I'm just a passing through.....and I can't feel at home in this world anymore.
    I enjoyed reading your answers. Have a God blessed rest of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't have children but I do love it when family is under one roof - as our families are on opposite sides of the world I doubt we'll ever get the whole clan together so we really appreciate the times together we do have.

    ReplyDelete