Wednesday, June 24, 2009

My new favorite . . .

I have loved to read all of my life. I remember walking to the library with my sister and signing up for the summer reading program and I remember winning the "most books read" award several different times. Even though I have little time to read for pleasure these days, I try to sneak in a few extra books during Christmas and summer. Several friends recommended that I read the book, "same kind of different As me." by Ron Hall and Denver Moore. I had to request it from the Hoover library and it came in before we left for the beach. But I never picked it up at the beach . . . I chose to read fun mysteries by Barbara Colley and other writers. On Sunday night, I needed a book to read so I pulled "same kind of different As me." out of my trusty library bag (how geeky am I? . . . I have a library bag!!) and started reading. I didn't want to put the book down. On Monday night, I stayed up later than anyone else in our family and I was actually afraid I would wake Mark and Laura with my loud sobs. Yes, the book has some sadness in it. Yes, the book is based on a true story. Yes, the book touched the very core of my soul. Yes, the book was a healing experience for me. Yes, the book is wonderful. Yes, I think it is my new favorite. I have little pieces of paper stuck throughout the book marking quotes that I want to jot down. Listen to this one, "Just tell em I'm a nobody that's tryin to tell everybody 'bout Somebody that can save anybody. That's all you need to tell em." Or how about this one? I laughed out loud when I read it. "Why, he wondered, did rich people call it sushi while poor people called it bait?" Wonderful wonderful book.

2 comments:

  1. I love reading other peoples' book recommendations and I've never heard of this book before. I gotta check it out. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops...that was me, Cheryl, not Gary (he was still signed in. LOL).

    ReplyDelete