Wednesday, January 6, 2021

Hodgepodge in a new year!

Thank you to Joyce for the questions this week. Answer on your own blog then hop back to her page to share answers with the world wide webbers. See you there! 

From this Side of the Pond
1. What advice would you give yourself as we begin this new year? I need to remind myself to keep my eyes on God - to not allow the things of this world to suck the joy right out of my life. My other advice to myself is to remember how good it feels to exercise every day. Back in late spring/early summer, I made a goal to exercise every day for 365 days. I've completed 277 days -- I ride the stationary recumbent bike at least 30 minutes and I walk a mile and a half every day. My advice is to keep going!!

2. If you could throw a themed party for yourself what would the theme be? I love a good party with margaritas and tacos and quesadillas and chips.

3. Tell us where you were and something about what life was like when you were 20- 21. I was newly divorced (yes, I made a huge mistake and married when I was 18). Back then, there were not many LGBTQ people in Alabama and my ex was a tortured soul trying to fit into a heterosexual world. We were married 18 months. At 20, I was working full time at South Central Bell (pre AT&T), going to UAB at night, and partying hard on Wednesday nights and Friday nights.

4. What's on the menu at your house this week? We had pork tenderloin, mashed potatoes, and veggies on Monday night and last night we had hamburger steak (93/7) with onions, broccoli, green beans, and carrots. I think I may drive through Chick-Fil-A tonight for salads!

5. What should you do more of this year? Less of? I need to keep reading and I need to spend less time scrolling on my phone at night. I need to be present with people when I'm with them. I need to do more listening and less talking and more exercise and less eating!

6. Insert your own random thought here. I love book recommendations and since last week's Hodgepodge, I have read The Dutch House and American Dirt. Thanks for the recommendations, Joyce!! I finished American Dirt last night and I did not want to put it down. It may be my all time favorite book. I enjoyed The Dutch House but I'm glad I read it first.

9 comments:

  1. I'm going to write the names of the books down...for some reason I missed those recommendations last week!
    My "word of the year" last year was "present", as in, be more present to people I'm with. It wasn't easy & I still have to remind myself!
    Congrats on 277 days of exercising!!! You can do it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oy! Now I'm craving Mexican food ... and scolding myself for not exercising regularly. #5? Absolutely! Just mentioned to Debby, I'd love to host (or attend) a formal wear dinner party ... like what took place aboard the Titanic. (Without the ending. LOL!) How I miss having the opportunity to dress 'up.'

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm coming to your party! I'll bring the guacamole! I'm with you on keeping my eyes on God and not being sucked into the world. Hope your week ends well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't it be wonderful to actually have a party? I'm so ready for this pandemic to go away and for everyone to be vaccinated so that we can socialize again!

      Delete
  4. Your 20-21 life sounds very much like mine although my ex was immature and irresponsible. He finally grew up but long after we had gone our separate ways. I vote for a Mexican-themed party, with the menu you have listed. Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe we are all focusing on God and His plan for us. I have stage 4 COPD and I finally found a way to exercise through Pulmonary Therapy. So I now have a treadmill but haven't felt well enough lately to to it. Hopefully soon I can get back on track. I would enjoy your party! Sorry about your X, I am sure that was a difficult time for both of you. Scrolling has definitely became a full time job. I need to stop. I need to read books. Glad you enjoyed your book. Take care and thanks for visiting with me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lisa,

    I like the goal you set for yourself last year to exercise daily. My goal for the new year is to get active again. Last year I let that part of me fizzle. I will get back on track using my elliptical for at least half an hour but my goal is to get back to 90 minutes. Here's to keeping our eyes on God for the calm we need in this upside down world that we live in. He is in control, not you or me. ;) Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done on the exercising and some good points in #5. I need to take a leaf out of your book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you liked the books. American Dirt stays with you. I let my eating habits go a bit slack during the first few months of all this staying home stuff, but the wedding coming up fast inspired me to have a little self-discipline over the holidays. I just told hubs today I want some mexican food and then a big plate of pasta once the wedding has taken place : )

    ReplyDelete