Wednesday, September 16, 2020

Wednesday Hodgepodge -- Old!


1. What's one thing you learned at the ripe old age of whatever age you are now? I feel like I’m always learning something new and one of the reasons is because almost everyone in my office is younger. I had never participated in a zoom call until this year and now I feel like an expert (not really but I certainly know how to use it!) 



2. I read here a list of foods that can help you look younger- extra virgin olive oil, green tea, fatty fish, dark chocolate, vegetables, flaxseeds, pomegranates, avocados, tomatoes, spices, bone broth How many of the foods listed have you tried? How many do you eat regularly? Your favorite from the list? 
I’m not sure I’ve had bone broth before . . .I just googled bone broth and found a handy dandy chart that explained the difference between broth, stock, and bone broth. I have cooked a hambone with some meat still clinging to it and saved the “liquid” to use in red beans and rice. I guess that is sort of bone broth?? I’ve consumed all of the others. Green tea makes my stomach hurt so I don’t drink it. I love avocados and I didn’t like them at all until I was a grown up. 
3. Something you miss from the 'good old days'? When were the good old days anyway? We are supposed to be in Orange Beach, AL right now but Hurricane Sally blew through there early this morning and it looks like one of our favorite places on earth has suffered devastating damage. My heart hurts for all those who live there year round and those who own rental properties and for the stores and restaurants. Covid has already done a number on everything this year and now to add a hurricane on top!! When our kids were young (middle school), we booked 3 condos every summer for a week and my husband’s immediate family all went down together. We’ve been looking at some of those pictures and our son (almost 34 now) said, “those were some of the best days.” I think those might have been the ‘good old days’ for us.
 
old photos of the cousins at the beach

Our son, now all grown up, carrying his daughter down the same vacation pier.


4. What are two or three of the most rewarding things to be found in growing older? I get to be me! I don’t worry nearly as much about what other people think about me. I am who God created me to be – sometimes funny, often quirky, sometimes grumpy. I don’t feel that pressure to “keep up” with everyone else. The best part is getting to be a Gran to two beautiful girls! I love hanging out with our kids and their spouses and I love to play with the girls! 5. What's your favorite part of your life right now? I do love those grandkids! I also love that my hubby and I have hung in there since 1984. We made it through some tough years. He is now working only 3 days a week and will finally be able to travel with me (if covid ever goes away). We were able to experience Israel together in February. The first two times I went, he was unable to go and I had a great time but it was so awesome seeing everything through his first time eyes. 

Mark at the Western Wall


6. Insert your own random thought here. I think I’m ready for soup weather and I think we might have some of that weather next week. I live in the deep south and we will probably still be wearing shorts at Thanksgiving (I should say that I will still be wearing shorts at Thanksgiving – probably not anyone else!) BUT it is 69 degrees right now and next week, the highs will be in the 70’s and lows in the 50’s!! We will have a touch of fall and I think I’ll have to make soup. I've actually decided to make soup in the crockpot tomorrow!!

4 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading your answers. Green tea makes my stomach hurt too. I went to Israel back when I was in my twenties for a month, it's a trip I will never forget! Do they still have those delicious Falafel stands? I lived on those things the entire time I was there :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really has been a year! COVID-19, murder hornets, riots, double hurricanes, wildfires, now another hurricane. I just bought a Christmas ornament that says "2020 Wouldn't Recommend" and it only has one of the five stars colored in. I saw a cute saying the other day, "I'm not fall back when the clocks change because I don't want an extra hour of 2020!". Honestly, a sense of humor is the only thing that has gotten so many of us through this year.

    How wonderful that your husband was able to travel to Israel with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, shorts and flipflops were normal in SoCal for us, but since we've moved we will adjusting to a new normal.
    Israel is on my travel bucket list! How wonderful to be able to experience it with your husband.
    I hope you are staying safe from the hurricane mess.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved your answers! I'm in a soup mood too. It's supposed to be in the 30s tomorrow morning! And how wonderful that your hubby could join you on a trip to Israel.

    ReplyDelete