Saturday, August 20, 2016

Great God of Light


I've already shared this story with a couple of friends.  I had one of those rare and amazing God moments this week.  Some folks like to call these kinds of moments "mere coincidences" but I've spent much time in prayer lately and I think it was one of those "extra special" moments - some call them Godincidences or God winks!

I've been going out to walk each morning around 5:15.  It is still dark outside.  As I walked around our circle as I made my first lap, a shaft of light shot across in front of me.  It actually startled me and I turned my head.  The moon was full and shining right on my path.  I snapped a poor quality photo and kept walking and thanked God for the light on my path.


Thirty moments or so later, I was on the hill beside our house and lo and behold, the sun was coming up.  The sky was beginning to lighten and the colors were amazing.  I snapped another poor photo and thanked God for the sunrise.


I came inside the house and popped the top . . .on my diet pepsi (got you!) . . .and sat down at the kitchen island for my morning devotion.  I've been using the "scripture writing plan" by www.swtblessings.com since last fall.  I don't always write the whole scripture but I read them everyday and make a note or two. 

First things, first - I opened my prayer journal and penned these words, "Good morning, God of Light - Moon, Stars, and Sun - you created them.  You created us!  You are so awesome, God."  (evidently the light of the morning was on my mind)

I consulted my sheet and the scripture for August 18 was John 8:12-14.  I opened my Bible and these are the verses:  When God spoke again to the people he said, "I am the light of the world.  Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."

Yes, it could be a coincidence that I saw a full moon, a sunrise, greeted God as God of Light, and then read that God is the light of the world.  Yes, it could be a coincidence but I don't think so.

Not only is God the light of the world, but we are like lanterns - lit by the source of all Light - and we, too, are called - not just called but instructed -  to light up the world around us.  This is not always easy.  We are bombarded by darkness all around - murder, flooding, politics of all kinds, crazy folks - but we are called to bear the light into the dark world!

Go shine the light!

No comments:

Post a Comment