Thursday, April 21, 2016

Legacy

Gray hair is a crown of splendor; it is attained in the way of righteousness.

Gray hair is a crown of glory; it is gained by living a godly life.

A gray head is a crown of glory; It is found in the way of righteousness.

Gray hair is a glorious crown; it is found in the way of righteousness.

Gray hair is a crown of glory; it is gained in a righteous life.

Five different translations of the same verse. Proverbs 16:31  has been on my mind this week. My mother-in-law invited me to be her guest at the Legacy Luncheon that was hosted by our United Methodist Women.


The group honored the ladies who were 85 and older. I was thinking about the question, “what do I want to be when I grow up?” I want to be like these ladies.  (Cel on back row far left and Tiffany far right are not 85 are older - Cel is President of the UMW and Tiffany is Vice President).


These ladies have faithfully served God for many years. They have put up with my generation when we were the “younger ones” and they continue to mentor this newest generation of younger women. Our AV staff person interviewed my mother-in-law and two other ladies. All three were cute and funny and wise in the interview. Martha Ann, one of the interviewees (middle of the back row next to my mother-in-law!), said that the United Methodist Women needed to be like a pine tree – flexible – willing to change to meet the needs of each generation. That is so very true. The organization has all but died out in many churches. I’m going to be honest . . .I’m not a member of the United Methodist Women anymore. I was a faithful member when I was a newlywed and when I was a young mother. I helped plan and execute many a project and attended circle meetings. There came a time in my life (actually when I became a church staff member) that I realized I could not do it all. I could not be at the church all day and then stay for a night meeting unless it was a work related meeting (like administrative board). I still respect this organization of women, though! They do awesome things for God!!

So . . .back to that scripture about gray hair . . .it may be a crown of glory, but mine is hidden under some great color!!

No comments:

Post a Comment