Wednesday, June 10, 2015

A Taste of This and a Taste of That

I wanted to share a couple of recipes with y'all.  I made these appetizers to take over to Glenn and Lauren's one night.  They were a hit.  I can't take original credit for either recipe.  I asked for each of these recipes after I ate them at a social function.

My friend, Ruth Ann's husband, Fred made these sandwiches for a meeting I attended.  I loved them and made them by the original recipe one time.  On this occasion, I had a whole lot of freshly grilled pork tenderloin left over and I did not want it to go to waste.


I actually weighed the pork tenderloin because the original recipe calls for a set amount of meat and I had no way to judge how much I had chopped.



The recipe is originally from Southern Living and is called Hot Roast Beef party sandwiches.  I guess mine are Hot Party Sandwiches!!

3/4 cup finely chopped walnuts 
2 (9.25-oz.) packages dinner rolls (I used Hawaiian rolls) 
1 cup peach preserves 
1/2 cup mustard-mayonnaise blend (I used Durkee’s – it is hard to find – got it at the Piggly Wiggly) 1 1/2 pounds leftover grilled pork tenderloin – chopped in the mini food processor 
3/4 pound thinly sliced Havarti cheese (tell them to slice it as thin as possible) 
Salt and pepper to taste (optional) 

1. Preheat oven to 350. Spread walnuts onto a cookie sheet or pan and roast for about 10 minutes. If you smell them, check them before the 10 minutes – do not burn!! (don’t turn oven off if you plan to cook sandwiches now – simply reduce heat to 325.) 

2. Remove rolls from packages. (Do not separate rolls.) Cut rolls in half horizontally, creating 1 top and 1 bottom per package. Spread preserves on cut sides of top of rolls; sprinkle with walnuts. Spread mustard-mayonnaise blend on cut sides of bottom of rolls; top with pork tenderloin and cheese (overlap cheese slices). Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste, if desired. Cover with top halves of rolls, preserves sides down, and wrap in aluminum foil. (at this point, the sandwiches can be cooked using the directions below or you can wrap them tightly in foil and place back in plastic bags and freeze until needed) 

3. Bake at 325° for 20 to 25 minutes or until cheese is melted. Slice around each roll (use a sharp pointed knife or a serrated bread knife). I wrapped back in foil after I sliced them to keep them warm until we got to the party.



I don't think I took a picture of the finished sandwiches!!  I'm so sorry . . .so now we are up to recipe number two.  My best friend makes this recipe and my family loves it.  It was all gone after the party, just like the sandwiches.

This is called Chunky Cheese Spread (or dip).
8 ounces Cheddar Cheese - shredded (works best if you shred your own but pre-shredded will work in a pinch
2 cups pecans, chopped
4-6 green onions, chopped (the recipe calls for me - this is all I put)
1 Tablespoon Hellman's Mayo (recipe calls for 1 tsp but to me, it needs a little more to help it bind)
1 jar jalapeno jelly (pictured above)

Mix cheese, pecans, onions and mayo together.  Spread in a pie plate or quiche dish.  I have used the same quiche dish every time I have ever made this and the dish is at least 30 years old (wedding present!!)  I had cooked for Marie (at work - had a baby) and she had my dish so I bought a clear pie plate pictured below.  It worked well.

After I mix the cheese, pecans, onions and may together, I spread it in the pan.  I then take a piece of waxed paper and lay it on top of the mixture and kind of smooth it down.  Don't put the jelly on yet.  Cover and chill for at least two hours (you can make ahead and chill overnight - or probably up to a couple of days).

Before serving, spread the whole jar of jelly all over the top of the cheese mixture.  Serve with townhouse crackers.  You need a sturdy cracker and you need a little server knife thing a ma bob.  This will disappear in a hurry!!




Last but not least, last night for our young adults, we had a hot dog bar and it was a huge success.  I served slaw and chips and several dips and watermelon and dessert.  I had a million little bowls of toppings and chili in a crockpot and cheese in another crock pot.  I whipped out a few descriptions and printed on card stock and placed on a stand.  Most people just piled stuff on!




No comments:

Post a Comment