Wednesday, September 25, 2024

Officially Fall Hodgepodge

I'm joining up with Joyce and the From This Side of the Pond gang for Hodgepodge!

1. It's officially fall y'all...in the northern hemisphere anyway. What are three of your favorite things about this particular season of the year? I love the colors of the leaves - gold and red and orange. I love the holidays - Halloween and Thanksgiving! I love SEC football.

2. Your favorite fall fabric-denim, flannel, tweed, corduroy, tartan, polar fleece, leather? Do you own something made with your favorite fall fabric? I think it might be denim. I have several denim skirts and regular jeans. Our son wears flannel shirts ALL OF THE TIME. I like corduroy but I don't think I have anything right now. I'm too hot natured for polar fleece. I do have a fleece pullover. I do not own a leather jacket or leather pants or leather skirt.

3. According to Everyday Health here are ten healthy fall foods- apples (flavonoids may improve brain health), pears (for heart friendly fiber), cranberries (helps your body fight oxidative stress) winter squash (for eye health), pumpkin (another great source of Vitamin A), leeks (an anti-inflammatory food), brussel sprouts (full of fiber and anti-oxidants), sweet potatoes (loaded with Vit A and C), parsnips (keep your bones healthy with Vit K), and broccoli (may help prevent cancer). 

How many on the list do you eat on a regular basis? Which one is your favorite? Which one gets a big no thanks from you? We love apples and pears and cranberries and winter squash and pumpkin. I love brussel sprouts. We both love sweet potatoes. I love broccoli - Mark does not. Leeks are ok but I don't buy them . . .maybe have never bought them. Parsnips -- might be ok. I've only had them once or twice.

4. Tell us about the last time (or a recent time) you experienced a wave of nostalgia? I sort of felt nostalgic at the wedding reception over the weekend. When I saw our son and a friend with their former children's minister . . .it took me back and I remembered so many sweet things.

5. Sept. 22nd was National Daughter's Day. Like mother, like daughter...does this idiom ring true for you? You may answer in terms of your own role as a daughter or, if you have daughters, then your role as a mother of daughters. My mom died when I was 15 but her family (half brothers) always said I looked just like her. She was much smaller than I am. Our daughter looks just like Mark, but according to Mark and Glenn, she acts like me. They always seem to point that out when one of us does something not to their pleasing. We clashed a lot when she was a teenager and we don't get to see her nearly often enough now that she has a family of her own.

6. Insert your own random thought here. Mark just said to me - Christmas is in 12 weeks. What the what???? I have way too much to do between now and then.

8 comments:

  1. I enjoy broccoli but it doesn't enjoy me - it always makes me feel bloated! I will eat a brussel sprout any time, any day though. Love them roasted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha... Christmas in 12 weeks... oh my! ;-)
    Oh yes, the colors of autumn!!
    xx oo
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  3. Parsnips and leeks- I am not sure that I´ve ever had them! One of my daughters looks like and one looks a lot like my husband. I think both of them have portions of my personality. My youngest is super stubborn which she definitely got from me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love parsnips and make a yummy cream of parsnip soup that has ginger in it. So good! Ah, SEC football...I forgot to put that on my list. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm always too hot to wear fleece as well. I do like it for blankets but not to wear. Weddings do seem to bring on nostalgia, I think. Enjoyed your answers - have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Christmas is in 12 weeks! I don't plan on going all out with decorating this year since we will be going on a cruise the first week of January. I better start asking everyone for their list. I need to get to the market and get some sweet potatoes and broccoli. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete