Sunday, September 15, 2024

It's Sunday Stealing

I'm joining up with the Sunday Stealing group. These Sundays roll around quickly each week! Thanks to Bev for coming up with the questions!!

1. What takes up too much of your time? I'm going to go with first thing that popped into my head -- scrolling on my phone or computer. I actually accomplish a lot every day and usually only scroll during commercials or if I'm stuck somewhere waiting.

2. What do you wish you knew more about? Right now I'm learning about the Revolutionary War period of the United States. I am not a history buff. I wish I could say that I want to know more . . .but I want an A and I want to move on to the next class. It is interesting - I just don't want to have to remember all of the dates and who fought what battle, etc. All of that to say, this is not what I really want to know more about.

3. What’s the best way to start the day? I start each day with a Diet Pepsi, 30 minutes of exercise, a little prayer or two, a shower and we make up our bed. It seems to be working for us.

4. What mystery do you wish you knew the answer to? I must be in a silly frame of mind this morning because the mystery that popped into my head is definitely silly. Who stole the cookie from the cookie jar? Our kids used to "sing song" that little diddy -- Who stole the cookie from the cookie jar? Laura stole the cookie from the cookie jar! Who me? Yes, you! Not me! Then who?

5. What’s your favorite genre of book or movie? For books, I love mysteries and thrillers. Every once in a while, I enjoy some historical fiction. For movies, I guess I like a rom-com or something with a little action.

6. What’s the farthest you’ve ever been from home? I've been to Israel several times. It is about a 12 hour plane ride from where we live. We are headed to Egypt, Turkey, and Greece in a few weeks. I think the first flight is 11 hours and the second flight is 2 1/2 hours -- that is after a 2+ hour drive/ride to Atlanta.

7. Where is the most interesting place you’ve been? We've loved our International travels - Israel, Ireland, Italy, Germany, Austria. There are so many places we want to visit.

8. When was the last time you climbed a tree for fun? It has been a long long long time since I climbed a tree for fun. I remember when our son was about 8 or 9, he wanted to climb every tree he saw.

9. What do you consider to be your best find? Does my hubby count? Our most recent "material" find that we both love is an antique chest we purchased for our entry hall. It is beautiful and unique and it looks awesome.


10. What’s special about the place where you grew up? When I was growing up, it felt just perfect. We could ride our bikes and run around the neighborhood and play kickball and go to school and church. We could walk to both. I mentioned this in another blog post recently -- it is not nice anymore and that is sad to see. 

11. What age do you wish you could permanently be? I don't know that I want to be stuck at any age because good and bad things happen every year. I wish we didn't have aches and pains and weren't quite as wrinkly and I wish I were 30 pounds thinner. I would wish for those things more than a year.

12. What fictional place would you most like to go? I would love to go to Narnia and meet Aslan.

I found this photo on someone's old blog post
from over 20 years ago - thanks!

13. Where is the most relaxing place you’ve ever been? Great question. I remember being very relaxed in St. Martin. Mark and I slipped away for a week when our kids were in middle school. I can also get pretty relaxed at the beach here in Alabama. 

14. What’s the most interesting piece of art you’ve seen? The Israel Museum in Jerusalem has some very interesting art. The Sistine Chapel and the Vatican Museum have amazing art pieces. The Last Supper in a tiny chapel in Milan is amazing. I'm not sure any of those are what someone else might call "interesting," but I have loved seeing all of them.


15. Who has impressed you the most with what they have accomplished? We have a young man in our church who practically raised himself. With help, he has finished college and is on to higher ed PLUS he is just a neat young man. At various times in the process, he was working more than one job and taking a full PLUS load of classes and getting good grades. Another person that has impressed me is my oldest niece. She was in an abusive marriage and got out of that marriage. She had dropped out of high school and she obtained her GED. She was then sewing in a jeans factory that closed. They offered Pell Grants to any of the plant employees that wanted to go to school. She became a Dental Hygienist while raising three kids and I think she had a 4.0. She subs some now as a hygienest BUT she also makes quilts. She quit her full-time hygienist job a few years ago because her sewing skill is in such demand that she can actually do what she loves and make more money. She has taken care of my sister (her mom) who is not in good health. She has survived breast cancer and a double mastectomy and some complications. She does it all and still finds time to laugh.

8 comments:

  1. #1. That is me too. If I catch myself on my phone while something more interesting is happening, I get annoyed with myself. Like you I scroll through when commercials are on TV. I hate them.

    #6. You will enjoy Turkey and Greece (I've never been to Egypt). We are off to Greece next Saturday for a week but the flight is only four hours for us. We are going to Skiathos.

    :o)

    Cheers

    PM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow - how cool to be a four hour flight from Greece! I also want to come visit your country!!

      Delete
  2. Your niece sounds wonderful.
    Aslan - an excellent choice!
    One thing you should know about the American Revolution is the battle of Saratoga, only 30 miles from here. It helped turn thje tide in 1777.https://www.battlefields.org/learn/revolutionary-war/battles/saratoga

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just read about the battle of Saratoga - it was in the reading for this week!

      Delete
  3. Your two people in the last question both sound exceptional. I love history. I should be taking your class!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think history is interesting . . .I just can't remember it - mental block!! Those two folks are exceptional!!

      Delete
  4. Perspective! Your 'profiles in courage' (last response) sure humble me. I used to feel the same way memorizing history facts, but since moving here my interest in all things Civil War has been awakened.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it interesting. For some reason I just can't remember it - I get all of the battles and dates and people mixed up! The two people I talked about are both pretty exceptional.

      Delete