Monday, August 12, 2024

Sad news . . .hurting heart!

I've told y'all about our "kitty boy" - Harvey. We adopted him as a rescue over 9 years ago. When we first got him and took him to the vet, they felt like he was probably 2 1/2 years old or so at the time.

So about 10 days ago, I took Harvey to the vet. He wasn't doing well.


Look at that expression on his face below - he was not happy with me. He wanted to know why we were locked in a room that smelled like other animals. Look at those claw marks on the door!!



He did seem to enjoy exploring his exam room. I'm pretty sure he was looking for an escape route.



He even decided to perch on the scales. I actually arrived at the vet thinking they would put him down. I won't describe all of the symptons because they involve blood and bodily functions. He was losing weight quickly.


After blood work, an x-ray, an ultrasound and something else . . .they diagnosed him with hyperthyroidism and really bad osteo-arthritis. They gave him a shot of  Solensia and 1/2 a tablet of Methimazole. They gave us a big bottle of pills with instructions to administer 1/2 tablet morning and night and to return to their office in 3 weeks for another shot of Solensia. The vet indicated he still had several good years left but he would need medicine everyday or a pricey radioactive iodine one-time treatment where he would have to stay isolated at a vet's office for 5 days. He would also have to have a Solensia shot every few weeks. He seemed a tad better on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. He was still in pain, though. The vet said it would take several of those shots to relieve the osteo-arthritis pain. On Monday, he started on a downhill slide. Each day he was progressively worse. On Wednesday, I called our vet's office and asked if they did in-home euthenasia. They don't do it, but the receptionist did provide the name of another service in town. I went on line and checked out their website and ended up talking to the folks but said we were still hoping he would get better.

By Thursday morning, we knew he wasn't getting better. He was declining even more rapidly. I called Compassionate Crossings as soon as I got to my office. This is a group of veterinarians who work in various clinics during the day. At night, they go to people's homes and help the family usher the animal into the next life.

Y'all I have cried buckets and buckets of tears but this service was amazing. Dr. Lindsey Floyd sat in the floor with me and we talked to Harvey and loved on him and told him he was such a good strong boy. She gave him a shot of pain medicine which helped him relax. She and I continued to pet him and talk to him for at least 30 more minutes. I am not a crier because when I begin to cry, I can't stop. I was sobbing through all of this and Dr. Lindsey (that is what she said to call her) offered emotional support for me. She explained every step of every thing she did. She made a pillow for his little head and paws. She then shaved a spot on his arm and gave him the IV drugs over about 60 seconds . . .and he was gone. Mark had been in and out of the room and at that point, he made me go downstairs. (I'm crying as I type this!) He helped the Vet gather her things and helped her to the car. Harvey would stay the night at the vet's home and then be taken to the animal crematorium where he would be cremated. His ashes would then be spread through a pet reef, supporting marine life and coral growth for generations.

We had Harvey for over 9 years. Here is a picture of him when we first got him - he weighed about 14 or 15 pounds. He weighed around 9 pounds last Thursday.


He was so big.



Thinking back, he hasn't been the same since the night of our house fire - July 9, 2022. He was already a "scaredy cat" -  a rescue BUT he had been living a great life with us. That night was incredibly stressful for both of us. Our gracious neighbors (to the left in this photo) took Harvey to their house until the fire was out and we packed some clothes and essentials to leave. He lived with us in a hotel for 16 days and in an apartment for a year. We have been back in our house for a little over a year now.


Here are some pictures of him over the years!


He was my work assistant when I worked from home!


The picture below was right when the world shut down for Covid. He and I were sitting out in our courtyard.


Fast forward -- the Photographer for our Hoover Magazine article took this photo just a few months ago.

photo cred . . .Hoover Magazine

This photo below was about 10 days ago.


This was Thursday afternoon after I got home from work. I was literally lying on the floor with him.


I was trying to snap a few photos for our memories. Look how small he looks. He was such a good kitty boy!



The next day our sweet friends sent flowers to me. Those flowers made me feel so loved.


I keep looking for Harvey. I know he isn't there, but I'll forget for just a moment or two.
We won't replace him. I promised my allergy doctor that we wouldn't get another live animal. I'm actually allergic to both cats and dogs. Mark says we are going to get a large stuffed GSP (German Short-Hair Pointer).

If you read all of this, you are a stronger person than I. Someday I want to be able to look back and remember. He was such a good kitty boy. 

Rest In Peace - Harvey
date of death August 8, 2024


5 comments:

  1. Dear Lisa, my heart goes out to you. I have been there with my last 2 doxies. I was crying like you said you were, so I know that gut wrenching pain of saying goodbye. I will keep you in my prayers. Take the time you need to grieve. Hugs♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa, I am so sorry for you and your family. Our furbabies grab our hearts and it is so hard to say goodbye. They do rely on our love to make those hard decisions for them. Harvey was quite handsome and he loved you back, I know. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I know you have furbabies, too! Give them lots of pats tonight :-)

      Delete
  3. Well I managed to read your post through tears. We've lost 2 cats and a dog over the years so I know how hard it is to let them go but letting them go is your final act of kindness to them. I'm glad you were able to say goodbye at home.

    ReplyDelete