Friday, October 4, 2024

Halloween Decorations & Stuff

If you've known me a long time, you know that Mark's mother prepared Sunday lunch for her family every week. Our children grew up eating at their grandmother's dining table. Mark and I have been married 40 years and I've eaten Sunday lunch there almost every Sunday of those years. Life is different since she died. I work on Sunday mornings and we've met our son and his family for lunch a few times after church (restaurants) and we've gathered together at Mark's mom's house with his siblings a few times and we had everyone over to our house on Labor Day weekend.

This past Sunday, it was just the two of us and I snapped a photo because this is just so different from the last 40 years. Mark grilled some burgers for us and I put some fries in the air fryer and made a couple of salads. It was nothing fancy. It was sustenance. It is different. Life moves on.


Sunday afternoon found Mark on the ladder on the front porch. One of our Tuesday night young adults LOVES Disney princesses. She asked Mark if he would consider decorating our skeletons in that manner this year. I went online and found the costumes from Tangled - Rapunzel, Flynn Rider, and Mother Gothel PLUS a lizard/chameleon whatever he is Paschal.


Mark came up with the clever idea to make her 'TOWER' a tailgate chair haha! He ziptied it to the post. She has on two wigs to make it long enough. I bought a Lady Godiva one . . .our young adults didn't know about Lady Godiva!! I also used the one that came with the costume. Braiding them was not easy.


Mark does such a good job of keeping our flowers alive on our porch. We added some pumpkins.


Inside the entry hall, I have mini pumpkins and fall leaves, a Snoopy Dracula, and witches legs.


The dining table has pumpkin candle holders, a fall wreath placed flat on the table with the plant sistting inside, a witch leg, and some bats!


I need to trade out the forsythia in my arrangement for the fall stems I have stored upstairs. The pumpkin has twinkle lights. Laura or Glenn made the little ghost when they were kids. Looking at it . . .I believe it might be a poop emoji today hahahaha!


This cool piece of furniture came from Mark's mom's house. I think one of our kids painted the ceramic pumpkin so I took it from Mark's mom's house, too. I have had the wooden witch for years and years.


I have a silly Trick or Treat sign hanging over the sink with some miniature pumpkins and burlap leaves in the dough bowl.


I added three jeweled pumpkins to the plant on the mantle along with a few of those burlap leaves. I have a little witch cauldren on the hearth. It would be cute if it could hang in the fireplace. I never thought of that until just now!


We have orange lights on the downstairs and upstairs porch railings. Here you can see Flynn trying to climb to Rapunzel and Mother Gothel over to the side.


You can see Paschal on her arm.


Let me just tell you that it took some wrangling on my part to get these costumes on these skeletons. I had to put velcro command strips on their heads to keep the wigs on. I think we may go back to our skeleton men who are fishing off the porch next year.

If you haven't followed along for a while . . .you might be wondering, why??? Our neighborhood goes ALL OUT for Halloween. We will have about 1200 Trick or Treaters that night. Everyone just takes their chairs and beverages and food and sits outside and hands out candy and visits with neighbors. In addition to our neighborhood kids, grandkids, friends, etc., we have lots of other trick or treaters. Our neighborhood still has homes being built and some of the workmen realize they can bring their kids to our neighborhood for a fun (and possibly more safe) adventure. 

 

1 comment:

  1. How fun!!! Your decorations look great and that front porch should make the kids happy!! We don't have trick or treaters here in our retirement community, but we do have a golf cart parade and neighbors do "You've been boo-ed" which is always fun. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete