Wednesday, October 23, 2024

Does an Apple a Day Really Work? Wednesday Hodgepodge!

I'm back! I'll do a daily recap of our trip . . .soon! For now, I'm joining up with Joyce and friends for this week's Wednesday Hodgepodge!

1. Monday was National Apple Day...did you eat an apple or enjoy something made with apples on Monday? Do you like apples? Do you prefer your apples raw, baked, or in cider? Do you have a favorite variety of apple? I ate some unsweetened applesauce on Monday!! I do like apples and I like them raw, baked, and in cider! I wrote this post about apples way back in 2021!

2. Do you think there's any truth to the saying 'an apple a day keeps the doctor away'. Of the following healthy habits which do you find easiest to incorporate into your life and which is the most difficult for you to adopt-

adequate sleep, a balanced diet, plenty of water, eat breakfast, don't smoke, exercise, limit alcohol,  include fruits and vegetables in your diet, manage stress, limit screen time

I don't think an actual apple a day keeps the doctor away BUT I do think our bodies need the nutrients from fruit. I guess the hardest one for me is adequate sleep . . .and I have jetlag right now! The easiest for me is not smoking. My daddy died of lung cancer, so I have no desire to smoke.

3. Who taught you how to drive? Do you enjoy driving? Would you rather be the driver or the passenger?  Do you have a favorite scenic drive near you? My daddy taught me to drive, along with Coach Seale in Driver's Ed. Daddy let me drive back and forth in our driveway -- back up and pull forward over and over again. We then ventured out onto the real roads. I would rather be the driver. I don't have a favorite scenic drive . . .

4. What small habit has had a big impact on your life? I think there are several small habits that have a big impact - reading a devotional everyday and taking a moment to pray is one. A few more habits that have had a big impact would be drinking more water and beginning my day with 30 minutes of exercise.

5. Tell us about something nice that happened to you recently. On Sunday, we flew from Athens to Istanbul. There was a young woman working the first security checkpoint for our Turkish Airlines gate. She looked at my passport and then she looked up at me and said, "Wow!" I told her that I have lost a lot of weight since the passport photo was taken (50 pounds). She then told me how much younger I look now and told me that I was beautiful and that my hair color and cut was so flattering. I told her that she made my day.

6. Insert your own random thought here. It is 4:34 a.m. here in Birmingham, AL. I've been awake since 3:30 and could not go back to sleep (jet lag and I couldn't get my mind to slow down). Egypt, Turkey, and Greece are eight hours ahead and my mind and body haven't readjusted yet. I can't wait to tell y'all all about the trip, but I have several homework assignments due soon and I have to do those before I can document the fun!!


14 comments:

  1. Your trip sounds amazing! Looking forward to reading about it. I am sure the jetlag is real! What a kind compliment from the lady at the ticket counter. Congrats on the weight loss. That is no easy feat! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting! Losing the weight was hard, but easier than keeping it off!

      Delete
  2. Ah jet lag. I went to Spain 3 weeks ago and it took a good two weeks for me to feel normal with my sleep. I really didn't think it would take that long. I bet your trip was amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to go to Spain -- it is on my list!

      Delete
  3. Can't wait to read about your trip! And yeah, jet lag is the worst. So many people said it's easy not to smoke because they don't. I don't so I ignored that one entirely but now people probably think I do. LOL. The only smoking I ever did was clove cigarettes, VERY casually, in college. Have zero desire to again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never heard of clove cigarettes! I was a teenager in the 70's so there was lots of smoking of things other than tobacco.

      Delete
  4. What a nice thing to hear. I firmly believe it takes a day for every hour of time difference to feel like you're truly in the zone you're in. You might need 8 days. I think day 2 is always the worst. Looking forward to hearing all about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Several people have told me about the day per hour time difference. Someone also told me to drink a TON of water which I did on Monday and it did help.

      Delete
  5. Lisa, I can so identify with the two of you suffering from jetlag. It is so real. What an interesting trip you were on. I'm looking forward to hearing about it. That was a nice compliment from the security gal. Greg's father died from Lung cancer, too. So hard. Hope the rest of your week goes well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Have you recovered from your trip?

      Delete
  6. How nice that the security person was so flattering and made your day!! Get some rest now!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to rest, but still waking up VERY early (4:00 am today)

      Delete
  7. I hope you get caught up with your sleep. I am sure getting your homework done will help you too! I never liked smoking though I tried it a couple of times. Yuck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were shocked at how many people smoked in Egypt and some of the other places. I slept from 10-4 last night so that was pretty good!

      Delete