Wednesday, March 20, 2024

Springing into the Hodgepodge

 It is Wednesday . . . so it must be time for Hodgepodge! Thanks to Joyce for the questions.

1. Spring is officially upon us, no matter what the weather may be in your neck of the woods. Is there any 'spring cleaning' on your to-do list? What's your most dreaded task? We have been back in our house for 8 months. Everything was new BUT construction dust still lingered everywhere. I think we have just about found all of that dust . . .except for the dust that found dust bunnies to marry! hahaha! We have kept it pretty clean since -- we have a wonderful housekeeper who comes every two weeks and Mark and I do things in between her cleaning. Mark just cleaned the outside of the downstairs windows because we had a group of folks from our neighborhood over for dinner on Saturday night. I straightened up the pantry last week. Mark still needs to use the pressure washer to clean our outdoor rug on the patio. I need to make some new cushions for our wrought iron furniture. They are odd sizes that you can't buy!! We do need to do some more work on out attic but I don't know when that is going to happen. 

My most dreaded task is one that has to happen often, not just in the spring. I hate cleaning the bathrooms!

2. What's something many people seem to love, but to you feels like 'watching the grass grow'? I don't know if many people love this, but I don't think I could watch golf on TV for more than a few minutes. It seems so boring to me!! Mark LOVES to fish. I like to catch and if I just have to sit and sit and sit, I definitely think that would be like "watching the grass grow"! I can't wait to read other's answer because I truly don't have a good answer!

3. Mint grows in abundance during the spring season. Are you a fan? What's your favorite food with a 'minty' flavor? I'm not that big of a fan of mint. I'm definitely NOT a fan of chocolate and mint together. I don't think I have a favorite food that has a minty flavor.

4. It's been said, 'Absence makes the heart grow fonder.' Agree or disagree? Explain. I think there is a little truth in both directions. Sometimes absence does indeed make the heart grow fonder. I'm always so happy to see Mark when he has been to Alaska fishing or out of town for a couple of days. I also think that sometimes when we don't see someone for a while, and then get to spend an extended period of time together, it then makes it harder to part. Does that make sense?

5. Are there any festive spring events in your city or town? If so, will you take advantage of them? American Village is about 30 minutes away and they have a big tulip festival. I want to go one year but it didn't happen this year. I'm pretty sure there are strawberry festivals in Alabama because it is ALMOST strawberry season here. I'm looking forward to eating some but I don't think I'll be attending a celebration.

6. Insert your own random thought here.  I have a research paper that is due on Thursday. It is much harder to write what someone else wants me to write PLUS remember to cite everything and type it in MLA format. I prefer writing a stream of thought and I might include . . .some ellipses or some weird quotation marks, etc. etc. etc. I will say that I enjoyed reading Bartleby, the Scrivener by Herman Melville. 

13 comments:

  1. I also said golf! I do love mint and chocolate; how can you not love thin mints?? ;) And yes, I know what you mean about not being with someone a while then getting a lot of time, it makes the next time a lot harder. Citations can get tricky; I tend to forget that not everyone is as versed in them as I am and that's only because I taught college English forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is Lisa but I’m commenting from my phone and it won’t allow me to sign in. I finally threw out the white flag of surrender and emailed my paper to the library help desk at school and told them MLA wasn’t even invented back in 1984 when I wrote my last paper. It is due tomorrow so I hope they respond quickly.

      Delete
  2. I had a hard time with the grass grows question and probably stepped on a lot of toes when I said Baseball, :). I totally forgot about flower festivals and strawberry festivals...oye. I agree with you on the absence question. EEeek on that research paper. You are giving your brain the best of workouts with your class!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to check out the American Village to see how far it is from me...about 4.5 hours! It might make a good overnight trip. I laughed when I read your response about mint...I'm the exact opposite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Watching golf is never an option for us even though our son-in-law would keep that running on their TV 24/7, but I did say baseball. I do enjoy college baseball especially when LSU is playing. Now about those chocolate mints - do you know what you are missing?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't mind watching golf. I don't want to watch it every single weekend, but now and then is fine. I love a field of tulips! When my daughter lived in Tacoma we went to the tulip fields out there. The beauty was hard to describe. I'd love to go to see more. I would be in trouble with all the new formats needed in today's research writing. I still love a double space after a period : ) Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, good luck on the paper!!!
    Mint and Chocolate... is a yes for me. Hee Hee!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I said golf too. That's a BIG YAWN for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know what you mean about construction dust! We had our kitchen remodeled and I didn't think I'd ever find all the dust. Ditto on golf, yawn!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I also said GOLF!!! I just can't watch it! I bet the Tulip Festival is beautiful. Best of Luck with your research paper.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My 'mintie go to' would have to be Ghirardelli peppermint bark! Would Creme de Menthe count? My mother used to enjoy putting a little over her (vanilla) ice cream; it looked so pretty.
    I didn't play the Hodgepodge, but would have picked Baseball as my #1 yawn.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I didn't say golf, but it is on that list for me too! Blessings!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I thought of golf as something that I find boring, but I don't have many golfers or golf fans in my circle. Best of luck with that research paper!

    ReplyDelete