Wednesday, March 6, 2024

Marching into the hodgepodge

I'm connecting with the other Hodgepodge friends. Thank you to Joyce for the questions!! 

1. Has March come in like a lion where you live? If not a lion then what animal would you use to describe the weather in your area this first week of March? Does the weather affect your emotions? When did you last feel 'under the weather'? Over the weekend, it did get cool enough for us to use our fireplace and turn on the heat. From now through the first week or so of May, weather in Alabama is very unpredictable. Monday the high was 77. Tuesday afternoon called for rain. In Alabama, it is not unusual to have a frost in April or early May even though we’ve already had temps approaching 80. All of those words lead me to say that March did not come in like a lion. Maybe it came in like a llama? 


I really have no idea, I just love this picture of a llama (or is it an alpaca?) from Lilymoore farms on Instagram. The weather does affect my emotions. Rainy days make me feel “grey and a tad sad.” I’m not sure when I last felt “under the weather.” I guess it was last summer when we were moving back into our house and the construction dust caused a major asthma attack which turned into a touch of pneumonia.

2. Do you know what your name means? Does the meaning of your name fit with your personality? Do you like your name? If you have children did you consider the meaning of their names before choosing them? Lisa means “oath from God” or “devoted to God” or “my God is bountiful.” I definitely feel blessed by God and we try to live our lives for His glory. I like my name ok. I think my name seems to fit me, as in I feel like a Lisa. I don’t remember looking up the meanings for our kid’s names but maybe we did. Since we were expecting twins, we had to come up with four names which really means 8 (first and middle for each). We chose names that have been in our family. Our son is named after both of our fathers. Our daughter is named after a distant relative and my sister.

3. It's National Sauce Month...what's your favorite sauce? Last thing you ate that used a sauce? Y’all know I don’t do well with favorites. I love queso. Does that count as a sauce? It does if poured over whatever I’m eating, right? I love gravy. That isn’t really a sauce, or is it? But . . . I do love lemon sauce over gingerbread. I haven’t eaten it in years since I don’t eat sweets anymore, but it is so wonderful. Here is a blog post about the lemon sauce and the recipe.

4. Something you've seen, tasted, done lately that you'd describe as 'awesome sauce'? I don’t use the words “awesome sauce” often . . .but over the weekend, our church had our yearly Discovery weekend which is for middle school students. The small groups are led by the high school students and there are talks, fun, food, fellowship, prayer, and more throughout the weekend. We had over 450 students plus all of the other folks who helped in various ways throughout the weekend. We had the first Discovery weekend at our church back when our kids were in middle school and it is a life-changing weekend.

5. What kinds of things do you love to collect? I don’t know that I collect anything. I know that I’m going to think of something in the middle of the night! I don't have a collection but I do love to "collect" seasonal decorations.



6. Insert your own random thought here. Instead of a random thought . . .how about a random photo?

My mother-in-law never would allow
the milk carton on the table. When our kids
spent the night, she always put the milk
in this pitcher. Our daughter loves this
pitcher so it came home with Mark this week.
You may remember that my mother-in-law will
be 99 in July and still lives in her home (with
24 hour care).




18 comments:

  1. I love the pitcher! So cute! My mother-in-law collects cream pitchers (among many other things lol) so I imagine I'll be getting one or two of them someday. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mother-in-law has so many different sets of china and a lifetime of other things! I guess those are her "collections."

      Delete
  2. I remember the early days of Discovery Weekends. It was such an impactful time for these middle schoolers. A few weekends ago our church had its annual "Freedom Weekend" for all high school students. This week our church school is on Mini-mester where hundreds of students are doing mission work all over the world. Our granddaughter is in the Amazon. What an amazing opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm saying a prayer right now for your granddaughter - for safe travels, good health, and a wonderful experience. Discovery is indeed such an amazing weekend.

      Delete
  3. That lemon sauce sounds great. I never make stuff like that but I'd love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I could drink it (but we know that doesn't work) haha!

      Delete
  4. I love the duck pitcher and how funny she wouldn't put the milk carton on the table. I'm that way with some things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She didn't allow anything other than the dishes, food, centerpiece, silverware, etc. on the table - no ketchup bottles, no milk cartons, etc.

      Delete
  5. Hi,
    I love the pitcher. :-) And the story that goes along with it.
    And I laughed at choosing a llama.
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think llamas are so cute, but I've heard they can get really irritated at people :-)

      Delete
  6. That pitcher is cute! I remember the glass bottles we had when I was a child. Now that you mentioned seasonal item, I would have to say Christmas ornaments!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I remember glass bottles, too. I do remember that when I was very young, the milkman still brought milk to the house.

      Delete
  7. That is a cute pitcher. I love the meaning of your name. That Discovery time sounds very encouraging. That llama photo made me smile real big!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Discovery sounds like our Emerge weekend that was held back about a month ago. We had about 450 6th - 12th graders participate and lives were changed. It's a whole bunch of work for sure. What a cute pitcher and neither do I collect anything anymore. We have enough for our kids to one day get rid of without adding to it. :o))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those types of weekends are indeed life-changing!

      Delete
  9. Lemon sauce over warm gingerbread sounds AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved your Number 1 answer. It's been fun learning about everyones names. I love that duck pitcher

    ReplyDelete