Wednesday, February 7, 2024

Waiting on the Hodgepodge!

I’m joining up with Joyce at From This Side of the Pond for Wednesday Hodgepodge. I would love to hear your answers!! 

1. Something you've waited for recently? I'll start with a silly example! In December, I bought a shirt from Ann Taylor Loft with hearts on it. I waited until February 1 to wear it! I plan to wear it once a week this month because it is so cute! We are also waiting on our granddaughter to arrive in April! This will be our third grandchild and they are all girls!

2. What's something you loved to do as a child? I grew up on an amazing street and we played kickball a lot! We also played Miss America with a runway made of picnic table benches! We also rode our bikes around and around the block. We walked to a little grocery store and I complained all the way every single time. No one has told me that . . .I just know I did! My mom never learned to drive and until my middle sister turned 16, we walked everywhere if my dad wasn't home. He was an engineer for the railroad so he worked crazy hours. Our neighbors had these swings that their dad built and they would swing SO HIGH and we would swing and sing. Seriously. Isn't that weird? 

3. Something you learned from a grandparent? We saw my dad's parents quite often but I was the youngest grandchild and I don't feel like I learned that much from either one. My granny did make wonderful chicken and dumplings but I don't make them because Mark nor I are that fond of them. I wish I head learned to make homemade biscuits from her! My mom's mother lived a little further away from us and she was very poor. I remember going to visit and we had to tinkle in a little pot because she didn't have indoor plumbing. I remember sitting on her front steps with two of my first cousins and we were all eating saltine crackers for a snack. I remember her sending me several things over the years - a bobble head dog, a quilt, and flour sacks for my mom to make shorts for me. I think I learned from her that no matter how little you have . . . you can still be generous. From a worldly standard those gifts might not have looked like much, but this little girl loved them. I'm going to be honest. I just realized that about her because of this question. Wow.

Granny George - my mom's mom


4. The most visited cities in the world last year (according to this site) were-Bangkok, Paris, London, Dubai, and Singapore. Have you been to any of the cities mentioned? Which would you most like to see? How do you feel about international travel in general these days? I have flown through the Paris airport (last year actually) but I know that doesn't count. I have not been to any of the others (even the airport). I would like to go to all of those places. We have a trip booked for October and we use a wonderful agency - EO or Educational Opportunities - and when traveling with them, I always feel safe. They won't take us anywhere that isn't safe.

5. February is the perfect month to think about spring.

6. Insert your own random thought here. It rained SOOOO much here on Sunday. But Monday was 61 and no rain, Tuesday high temp was 66 and sun, and today is supposed to be 62 and somewhat sunny. I know we aren't finished with winter yet. I did look ahead on the weather channel app . . .we still have some lows in the low 30's but most of our highs for the next 10 days are at least 51. None of those temps are bitter cold! Also, total change of subject and random 2nd thought from me -- have y'all heard I Will Carry You by  Ellie Holcomb? If you haven't heard it and you like Christian music - go listen right now. I'll even give you the link to hear it on youtube!

20 comments:

  1. I love Ellie Holcomb : ) I have similar memories from childhood, so many carefree days for which I'm grateful. I think my girls are trying to give their own children a similar childhood. Our newest granddaughter is due any minute but apparently is a bit too comfy where she is lol. Trying not to make my daughter crazy with a bajillion questions about what's happening and how she's feeling. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is that granddaughter still hanging out in the comfort of mommy?

      Delete
  2. I don't think your answer to #2 is weird; before about 5 years ago, kids always played outside and had to come up with stuff to do! I remember doing a lot of those same things and try my darndest to make my kids do things like that too. I am trying to make them be bored and find solutions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that -- "trying to make them bored and find solutions." Excellent!

      Delete
  3. Your childhood memories aren't weird at all...they're wonderful! What a great gift your grandmother gave you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to mention: I'm going to check out the EO group and also the Ellie Holcomb song. LOVE HER! She has a song with Amy Grant that is just beautiful.

      Delete
  4. I love your childhood memories; they are not weird at all. I wish I could go back to those carefree days and experience those days with my grandkids. Love what you learned from your grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you've had a great weekend so far!! Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  5. I love your childhood carefree memories! Your legacy from Granny George is darn profound. I wish the girl that I was had been as appreciative of the handkerchiefs my grandmother used to send. That's probably all she could afford.
    On my way to check out this song link.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lisa, one of the reasons I like to do memes is for the memories it brings back. You just mentioned flour sacks. I remember my grandma turning them into dishtowels with her fin embroidery work. Thanks for sharing that song. I had not heard it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are correct about the memes. They make me think and remember!

      Delete
  7. My Grandma that I called Mum Mum taught me to go to Church (my parents weren't Christian) and how to crochet. As an adopted child she was the only one in the family that was kind to me and made me feel welcome. She was really special.
    Fun post.
    Blessings. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you had at least one kind and welcoming person in your family!

      Delete
  8. Granny George was a great lady!! Kids today need experiences like you and I had back in the day. Put the screens down and play!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ahh...I really enjoyed your answers and learning about your grandparents and what you learned from your grandmother. That's such a good lesson. Hooray for that little granddaughter arriving soon. So sweet. Haven't heard of Ellie Holcomb so I'll have to click on that link. I'm late coming around this week. This week has had me behind since Monday! Happy Thursday to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've been so busy!! Did you listen to the Ellie Holcomb song?

      Delete
  10. What wonderful childhood memories! I remember playing on the swingsets a lot; they were my favorite on any playground, and I bet I sang so that doesn't sound wierd. Your Granny George sounds like a very sweet lady, and I just loved your answer to that question. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you have had a great weekend so far!!

      Delete