Monday, April 3, 2023

The Thorn (and Rodney Scott BBQ)

Our friends (and neighbors) invited us to go to the BJCC to see a play with them and we ordered tickets a couple of months ago.
After work, we picked them up and headed to Rodney Scott's BBQ for a quick dinner. The food was good and after we ate, we hopped into our car and headed downtown.
The advertisement said the play was The Passion story crossed with Cirque du Soleil. The four of us had been to the Passion Play in Germany in summer of 2022 while we were on our Italy/Germany/Austria trip.

These photos are totally out of order. Our internet is so slow at the apartment and I guess that is why they load in an incorrect order. It is weird.


They had dancers and aerial artists and amazing lights and a background that changed as needed.


Here we are - from the left - Lu (Lucinda), Dave, Mark, and me


The story was narrative by John (the Gospel of John) and this actor was
amazing. He was funny and serious and had the mannerisms down of an old man. The whole show was good but this guy was amazing.


The photo below is of the last supper in the upper room. I mentioned this in a recent blog post . . .because the sight I enjoy the least in Israel is the Upper Room. The background scene is a shot of the actual room in Jerusalem and seeing it like this made me like it more. I know that probably makes no sense.


My main critique was the artistic license they used where Satan was involved. I grew up in a denomination where motivation to be good was fear. NO! NO! NO! I won't get on my soapbox today.

I will say that it was the perfect play to see on Wednesday before Palm Sunday and I would recommend it. I probably wouldn't take a young child. I would think 13 and over simply because of the last 30 minutes.

 

2 comments:

  1. Looks like a pretty interesting show!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How great is that!! Thanks for sharing the wonderful memory!!

    ReplyDelete