Wednesday, April 12, 2023

A Hodgepodge of Games . . or not!

I'm joining up with Joyce and friends for the Hodgepodge . . .it must be Wednesday!

1. April 13th is National Scrabble Day...are you a fan? Do you enjoy word games in general? What's an eight letter word that tells us something about your life currently? I live with a man (am married to him, too 😊) who informed me when we were dating that he “didn’t play games.” I remember wondering just what he meant by that. Did he not play games in relationships? Did he not play monopoly? He does NOT play games. He has played poker over the years . . .that might be how we taught our kids some of their math . . .and the second grade teacher may have told us that our child was in the corner hosting a poker game . . .maybe. He has also played a couple of party games over the years on New Year’s Eve and we’ve played our own version of Dominoes but on the whole . . .he doesn’t play games. I am not on the Wordle bandwagon. I don’t remember the last time I played scrabble. I would probably enjoy it!

2.  Do you have a junk drawer? Is it full? Do you know what's in it? What's in it? Yes, even here in the apartment we have a couple of junk drawers and a couple of junk baskets. They hold everything from extra pens and twist ties to some collapsible funnels that I bought to use. One junk drawer has my charger cord for my Kindle. I know there is a baggie with several spools of thread and some sewing needles in it. All of those are in the kitchen alone! In the bedroom, I have a couple of junk drawers, too. I have pictures and some keepsakes and my other odds and ends. I hope to get everything re-organized when we move back into our home.

3. When does time pass quickly for you? When does it pass slowly? Time passes quickly when we are having fun – just like the old saying goes!! It passes slowly if I’m sitting in a hospital room with a family member or if I’m waiting on someone.

4. These eight vegetables are in season during spring-asparagus, broccoli, cabbage, carrots, celery, collard greens, garlic, herbs. What's your favorite? Any on the list you refuse to eat? Last one on the list you ate? I love asparagus – roasted. I enjoy broccoli, cabbage, and carrots. I like celery as a dipper or in chicken salad. I used to HATE any kind of cooked greens but I actually have grown to love collard greens – especially fresh ones that have been seasoned well. Garlic and herbs are in most things. I like some garlic but I would never add five or six cloves to a recipe . . .even if the recipe called for that many. There are a few herbs that aren’t always my friend. I don’t know which is my favorite – I do love roasted asparagus. There are none on the list that I would refuse to eat.

5. What's the oldest thing you own? Tell us about it. What a great question. I have no idea!! Somewhere I think I have a pair of my grandpa’s sunglasses. Pre-fire, I had his Shaped Note hymnal. I hope it didn’t get ruined. I have my mom’s high school ring (somewhere) and that is pretty old. I just asked Mark what is the oldest thing he owns. He has a $5 gold piece from the 1800’s that has been passed down through several generations of his family. He wins that round in this household.

6. Insert your own random thought here. I have several random thoughts. Are you surprised? I need to write an Easter post. I still have a post sitting in my blog to be finished about a visit from a few weeks ago. I did take my final exam on Sunday evening so I’m through for the semester. Next class begins on May 10. I’m not sure what I’m taking. Since I’m over 60, I can’t register until the day before classes begin so that I can get my “senior citizen’s” discount. It will be either a science, an English something or other, or speech. I’m chipping away at this Associate in Arts degree. As a 60+ year old, I have taken four classes spread out over the last four semesters and I have made all A’s. I don’t have my final grade for this class but I think I have an A. I went into the final with a very high A so hopefully, I’ll be ok.

12 comments:

  1. It's so hard for me, as an online teacher, to wrap my brain around what I might be like as a student. Probably better than I was when I was in my 20s, honestly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was always a good student - National Honor Society in high school, etc. BUT I think I actually care more now than I did then. When I was in college the first time as a young student, I think I cared more about the social aspect!

      Delete
  2. I may have giggled out loud about your 2nd grader hosting a poker game in the corner! Congratulations on acing your class! Woot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the time, I was slightly mortified about the poker game. Now . . .I think it is pretty funny so I'm glad you giggled!!

      Delete
  3. My Junk draw has left over packages from fast food places. You never know when you will run out of stuff. We used to play ots of scrabble but now its video games.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If we have those plastic packages of forks, knives, spoons, napkin, etc. I take those to work.

      Delete
  4. Your answers were very entertaining. So true about time going slowly in a hospital waiting room. How cool to have your mom's high school ring! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for visiting! I hope you have a great day today!!

      Delete
  5. My husband doesn't like board games or word games, but I don't like the strategy games that he likes. So I don't play games nearly as often as I'd like. I said I didn't have a junk drawer but as I read your answer I began to wonder if the drawers of my bedside table are really junk drawers. I should probably clean them out because I'm not sure what's in them! Congratulations on your classes and progress! Happy Hodgepodge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a drawer that has an "assortment" of anything not related could almost be classified as a junk drawer.

      Delete
  6. Congratulations on your grades! My nightstand drawer has turned into something of a junk drawer too, but I intend to get on top of that as we spring clean. One room at a time lol. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My husband is wishy washy when it comes to games, sometimes he likes them, other times he doesn't, and for whatever reason he quit enjoying playing games with just two people (WHAT). I love playing games. I joked with my girls that "could you please find husbands who like to do puzzles and play games". Well my first daughter is married and her husband doesn't like either, and my youngest isn't dating so we'll see how that goes. Your junk drawer is so organized.

    ReplyDelete