Wednesday, April 5, 2023

A Hoppity Hodgepodge

Joining up with Joyce over at From This Side of the Pond. She graciously writes the Hodgepodge Questions and we answer and visit and read everyone else's answers!!

1.What would you say is the most difficult task when it comes to spring cleaning? Have you completed that task this year? Any plans to get it done? This year my most difficult task is the fact that we aren’t in our house and I have no desire to spring clean a rental apartment. My real problem with spring cleaning is the fact that dust is one of my big allergens so I have to wear a mask (which is hot) and I have to be careful to not touch my eyes or face or nose with dust on my hands.

2. Your favorite pastel color? Favorite thing you own in a pastel shade? I love pink but I tend to go with more vibrant shades of colors – bright pink; bright blue; brighter greens. I do love the pastels of pink, yellow, blue and green . . .I just don’t wear them often.

3. Do you like ham? Do you fix ham year round or is it mostly just a 'holiday food'? Baked ham-ham and eggs-ham and cheese sandwich-scalloped potatoes and ham-Hawaiian pizza....what's your pleasure? I love ham – especially HoneyBaked Ham. I’ve ordered ours for our family lunch and will pick it up on Thursday. We usually have it alongside our turkey – sometimes at Thanksgiving and sometimes at Christmas. I love it – sliced and served on a plate with wonderful sides.

4. Do you celebrate Easter? What did Easter look like when you were a kid? What are your plans for Easter this year? We do celebrate Easter. We have been in the season of Lent since Ash Wednesday. This is Holy Week which began with Palm Sunday. We begin our worship with palms and end our worship with “When I Survey the Wondrous Cross” and we have four young men bring in a huge old rugged cross. It will remain at the front of the church through Friday night when we have our service of darkness. We will begin our Easter services on Saturday night at 6:00 p.m. and Mark and I will attend that service. Mark will go to whichever worship service our in-town kids choose on Sunday morning while I work. After church, we will gather at Mark’s mom’s house for a family lunch of Honeybaked Ham (see #3!), potato salad, carrot salad, broccoli salad and all sorts of other deliciousness. We may even hide some Easter eggs.

5. Something that makes you feel hopeful amidst all the chaos and confusion this world brings? Mark volunteers twice a week at our Hub – which is where all of our Outreach ministries occur. We are feeding over 300 families every week, providing weekend backpacks of food for children who need it in a school system, hosting/leading ESOL classes once a week for refugees from all over the world, assisting those same folks with furniture, clothing, household items, etc. We offer a free store by appointment one day a week where folks can shop for a variety of things. Amazing things are happening out of a gym that is not even full-sized (3/4). When people work together, no matter their nationality or beliefs, no matter their political opinions, no matter their whatever . . .there is hope!!

6. Insert your own random thought here. I don’t think I have any random thoughts today. I hope my “friends” here have a meaningful Holy Week and I hope your weekend is full of joy and light and hope and peace!


5 comments:

  1. I agree that when you see people being kind and charitable it really does make you feel better about the world. I appreciate when it seems they're doing it because they want to, not just so someone can see them doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't blame you, not wanting to spring clean a rental! Your family dinner sounds wonderful. I've never tried Honeybaked Ham, but know people rave about it. Unfortunately, it's situated down on South Blvd. in a sketchy part of town I try to avoid whenever possible.
    Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not doing much of a spring cleaning in our rental either. We haven't even been here long enough for it to need spring cleaning! Your church services sound beautiful! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your church sounds like it is really plugged in to meeting the needs of the community. Enjoy celebrating Easter and time with your family! And your honey baked ham-I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed your answers this last week. Your Easter lunch sounds yummy~~

    ReplyDelete