Thursday, May 7, 2015

Mother's Day

Every Monday morning, several of us gather in a conference room at the church and worship for the following Sunday is planned.  Hymns are picked to "go with" the liturgical season or the sermon series, etc.  All through Lent, one staff member would ask for a funny song . . .and then someone asked for another one on a different Sunday . .. we didn't sing it either.  (you must laugh some every day, right??)  Who knew that so much planning went into each worship service??  During Monday morning's meeting, Andy kept singing this song (or one like it)
M-O-T-H-E-R
"M" is for the many things she gave me,
"O" means only that she's growing old,
"T" is for the tears she shed to save me,
"H" is for her heart of purest gold;
"E" is for her eyes, with love-light shining,
"R" means right, and right she'll always be,
Put them all together, they spell "MOTHER,"
A word that means the world to me.
  Just fyi - we are NOT singing that song in worship! 

Yesterday I realized, once again, that I know so little about our mother.  I remember some things and if I'm with my sisters and one of them mentions something, odds are I will eventually remember the incident, etc.  I know that she was part Cherokee Indian (as am I - of course - duh!).  I know that she was only about 5' 2" tall and weighed about 100 pounds for most of her life.  I know that she loved my daddy and she loved us.  I know that sometimes people hurt her feelings (isn't that weird that I can remember that??).  I remember that she was always kind.  I remember that she SLAPPED MY FACE (today that would be child abuse :-) ) in a department store in Tarrant (Aston's? was that the name??).  I deserved it, I am sure.  I remember that I had sassed her ONE too many times that day.  I think she was mortified after she did it!  I know that she had a troubled relationship with her mother but before they both died, they seemed to be at peace with each other.  Even though things had not been easy for momma and she was in horrible foster care at times, she still loved her own mother and wanted to check on her, etc.  I wish I could hear her laugh.  I don't remember if she had a soft voice or not.  I think she did.  She didn't drink alcohol (we had a bottle of wine in the fridge that was a gift and it turned to vinegar or something).  She didn't curse - well, once or twice I've HEARD that she said sh**.  She loved God.  She read her Bible and prayed.  She had a set of gold praying hands.  I wonder if someone gave those to her after she got sick.  She wore a lot of house dresses! You know what I'm talking about?  They snapped down the front.  I remember riding the bus and going to the doctor and walking to the hair salon with her.  I remember that she was a really good cook.

I LOVE this picture of her.  It is in an old cardboard frame and its home is in my craft room.  I would really enjoy an adult conversation with her.


We are the ones who made her a mother.  She is holding me - I'm the baby!!  Glenine is standing beside momma (she is the oldest) and Becky has the big bow tie (she is the middle one!!).  Momma looks like she is trying to smile - we were probably driving her crazy.


There have been so many times in my life when I've wished for advice about mothering FROM MY OWN MOTHER.  My mother-in-law has been like a mother to me and she has given some wise advice.  She has been wonderful.  It worked out great - she was the mother of twins and then Mark and I had twins.  She could UNDERSTAND!  


I had this picture of Laura (left) and Glenn (right) in my office.  They made a mother out of ME!! (they are wearing their baptism gowns that were made by their great grandmother . . .Mark and George wore them - that twin thing!  Then their two siblings wore one of them and now all the grandchildren have been baptized in one or the other of the two gowns.





There have been so many others who have been like a mother to me.  Inez Lane and my mom taught three year old Sunday School together.  Inez had a daughter about my age and we became friends - close friends.  After momma died, Inez was always there for me.  Here is a picture of Inez and her daughter, Karen.  I need to go see her more often!!  I bought a mother's day card for her but I don't know where those cards are -- shoot - glad I remembered - now I can hunt them!!  (sorry for that trail)


Dovie Parker was also like a mother to me.  I don't have a picture of her in my computer. (UPDATE -- her daughter emailed a picture to me!!  This is JUST how I remember her!) She loved me and I knew it.  (same with Inez)  They would not have put up with me so much if they didn't!  Mrs. Parker signed me up with their family for a pool pass.  One whole summer, I was Lisa Parker.  She hosted my surprise 16th birthday party.  



So many people have been like a mother to me.  It is amazing how God can fill a void if we allow him time to do it.  I have always had women in my life - women who were older (sometimes!) and certainly wiser.  I've been friends with women who could advise me (thank God!)

M is for the many mothers in my life!



No comments:

Post a Comment