Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Hodge Podge Wednesday

1. Did you do anything 'memorable' this past weekend?
I love the play on words – memorable on memorial day weekend! I actually rented a condo on a local lake and drove up on Friday night with my daughter and two of her friends from our Tuesday night group. We worked on our tans and we watched a lot of girl movies (chick flicks!) and we ate some junk food. Pretty memorable!


Here is a picture of our view - beautiful . . .but it was quite a hike from our condo!!


I love sitting out in the sun - especially the first time . . .it is like you can feel the warmth soaking all the way down into your bones after a long, cold winter.  yes, I wear sunscreen - 15!  Yes, I know that I'm ridiculously hot natured so why would I ever think about a long, cold winter . . .my bones think that!!




2. Ronald Reagan is quoted as saying- "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." Your thoughts? Do you somehow acknowledge and appreciate the freedoms you enjoy? Did your upbringing contribute to that sense of appreciation? If you're a parent, are there specific things you do to pass on this sense of responsibility and appreciation to your own children in regard to the freedoms they enjoy?
I don’t think we’ve done a great job (me personally) of teaching our children about our freedoms. I do acknowledge and appreciate the freedoms I enjoy and I do think it came from my parents to me. I feel like it was unspoken – so I’m not sure how they taught it. Maybe I saw the appreciation in their eyes and realized what it meant. Nah – I’m probably not that smart!! My dad was a Sea Bee in World War II and I always think of him as a patriotic man.  (I don't think I really answered this question - I feel like a Miss America contestant who answers all the questions with "world peace.")

The Boy Scouts placed a flag in everyone's front yard (unless you opted out!) - reminds me of freedom.  Took this pic this morning when I was out walking!!



3. Loudest noise you've ever heard?
A large mirror fell off the wall in our master bathroom in our last house . . .in the middle of the night. It was the loudest and most frightening noise EVER. I actually hyperventilated.

4. What was the last thing you ate that might be considered 'junk food'? Did you enjoy it?
Let’s see – today I had three miniature reese cups – pure junk! Over the weekend, the junk foods were probably too numerous to write – but I’ll try – let’s see . . . .chick fil a (including their delish fries!); a blueberry muffin that should have been good for me but after I ate it, I looked at the calories – 620 calories for a blueberry muffin . . .probably qualifies as junk! We also had chips and dip and some M&M’s. We did eat a lot of watermelon – that was GOOD for us!! Of course, I enjoyed it. I do feel better when I eat well.

5. When was the last time you were somewhere the crowd felt 'packed in like sardines'?
I try to avoid those situations. I really don’t like that feeling of being packed into a location. OH – I thought of a good one – my husband LOVES to be packed in like sardines on a pew at church. He loves that feeling of being surrounded by friends and family. I’m sure there has been a recent Sunday where we experienced that!!

6. Are you organized when it comes to packing for a trip? Do you make a list weeks in advance or toss items in last minute? Are you a carry-on only sort of packer or do you need an entire suitcase for your shoes?
I make a detailed list – and keep it in my computer. I can update it for whatever trip I’m planning. I don’t usually print it out until the week before and since I work full time now, I’m usually packing at the last minute. Plus – I don’t have enough clothes to pack for a trip and still have clothes to wear so there has to be some last minute packing. I can pack just a carry-on if I need to do so – we went to a conference in Kansas City a few years ago and Andy told us all to take just a carry on. I crammed it all in there. I prefer to take all I want on a real vacation – including a craft project or two (and more than one pair of shoes!!)

7. What was the last sporting event you attended in person? Did your team win? Did you care?
I can’t remember! We didn’t go to any Auburn games this year. We are going to see the Barons (Double-A affiliate of the Chicago White Sox major-league club and play most of their games at Regions Field in downtown Birmingham) play baseball on Friday night. Our daughter has some tickets (from her friends) and she is taking us. I LOVE fireworks and there will be fireworks this Friday night!!

8. Insert your own random thought here
I don’t think I have any random thoughts this week – ha! That is actually funny. I have way too many random thoughts!! Do I have to pick just one?? I’m praying for my best friend’s new little grandbaby, Isaac. He was born at 27 ½ weeks and he weighed just 2 pounds and 8 ounces. He is in the NICU. I’d love for you to pray for him, too – if you are a praying person!! I need a craft project. I may try to scrapbook some. I haven’t done that in a while. I don’t even print my pictures out anymore!! I was thinking about sewing but I gave my sewing machine to Laura. I would love to make something for someone who needs it – like dresses for little girls in Africa or stuffed dolls for the fire department. I used to sew for the preemies at UAB and Cooper Green but they don’t need the little outfits from us anymore.  Here is a picture of one from a long time ago.


2 comments:

  1. This was funny in a good way to read. I can just see your smile while writing it. Glad to meet you through the Hodgepodge. Your junk food answer, cracked me up!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle- thanks so much for commenting! Glad you liked the junk food answer!!

    ReplyDelete