Sunday, May 15, 2011

Mother's Day

I loved Mother's Day this year . . .it was such a low key and wonderful weekend. Mark was at the farm on Friday and Saturday and a funny thing happened when he was unpacking the car. He was standing in the driveway with a big gun in one hand and a chainsaw (or some other manly big piece of equipment) in his other hand and a van drove up our driveway with "two old ladies" (his words) in it. He was wondering to himself, "what in the world?" When the ladies parked the van, one of them stepped out with this gorgeous flower arrangement in her hand. Mark said that his first thought was, "OH NO someone is making me look bad." I have laughed about that whole scenario. The flowers were from Glenn and Lauren and they were indeed beautiful and lasted over a week. The container is a cute plastic lined lunch bag that I will be able to use often!! The flowers came from Norton's Florist here in town and they have been in business a long time. They did the flowers for our wedding back in 1984 and they did the flowers for Glenn and Lauren's wedding back in January.We had planned to grill steaks on Saturday night but Laura suggested that we wait until Sunday because she was going out. So for Saturday night dinner, Mark and I called in an order to the Dragon (local Chinese restaurant - in case you couldn't figure that out from the name!!) and drove to pick up take-outs and had a quiet evening at home.

On Sunday, we went to church and Sunday School and invited Meg (one of the young adults from our Tuesday night group) to come over for lunch. We grilled steaks, onions and asparagus on the grill and it was delicious. We also had baked potatoes and salad. Mark and Laura presented me with a gift certificate for a manicure and pedicure and Laura had several cards for me - including one from the cat!! After lunch, I rode the stationary bike and I read for most of the afternoon. I did mix up a quadruple recipe of hashbrown casserole for the Tuesday night group but that was the most strenuous thing I did all day!

You have to understand that I've been a mother for 24 years and for each of those years, I have shared Mother's Day with my mother-in-law (whom I love very much). But each year, the day has really been about her. We have always had what she wanted for lunch and she always opened her presents after lunch. This year, she was in Delaware at my sister-in-law's house and I felt especially pampered. It is not so much that I mind sharing . . .I guess I didn't realize it until this year though . . .I don't think I've ever felt like the day was about me.


This next picture has nothing at all to do with Mother's Day . . .except for the fact that the cat was lying (once again - should that be laying?) on the deck while Mark was cooking the steaks. I walked around to the outside of the deck and snapped his photo. Isn't he a handsome kittyboy? (Yes, we know that he has pollen eye boogies . . .bless his heart . . .he has sneezed a million times this spring. How funny that a cat with allergies has come to live with a woman who is allergic to him!)










No comments:

Post a Comment