Wednesday, April 17, 2024

Fun Hodgepodge!

It is time for the weekly Wednesday Hodgepodge!! Thanks to Joyce for the questions. She comes up with new questions every single week!!

1. What's a skill you think everyone should have? I think everyone should be able to sew on a button! I also think everyone should be able to look people in the eye and introduce themselves. I know that someone who is on the Autism spectrum might not be able to do this. I totally understand in that situation. I do think, if at all possible, parents should teach their children how to greet others. 

2. Do you have a special place or organizational system for gift wrapping? Do you still buy 'real' cards to send for birthdays, anniversaries, get-well, etc? I store wrapping paper in our hall closet outside the powder room. Speaking of skills, I have pretty good wrapping skills! I actually love real cards. Mark, being a retired CFO, thinks cards cost way too much. I do agree. I just think a card in the mail brightens someone's day and makes them feel loved.

This is a metal corner "shelf" and it is
inside a coat/storage closet outside
the powder room. I have wrapping
supplies stored here. Pre-fire, I had
TONS of wrapping supplies and they
were organized differently than this. Post-fire,
I don't have that many supplies.

3. It's National Banana Day...are you a fan? What's your favorite thing to make with bananas or, if you're not a cook, your favorite thing to eat that contains banana? I had a banana at breakfast this morning. I like mine very yellow . . .not brown. I do use brown ones to make a high protein sheet pancake. I used 3 mashed RIPE bananas, 3 beaten eggs, 1 1/2 cups Kodiak Buttermilk pancake mix, a big splash of vanilla, and frozen blueberries. I spray a 9 X 13 metal pan with cooking spray. I mix everything together and pour into the pan and bake at 350 for 30 minutes. I cut into squares.



these were actually made on a jelly roll
pan so they are thinner and these
also have frozen cherries in
addition to frozen blueberries

4. Do you believe in second chances? Elaborate. Yes! Yes! Yes! I think God is a God of second chances and I'm so very thankful. When it comes to the human level, I want those second chances extended to me BUT if I'm very honest, there are times that I don't want to extend the second chance to others. I'm just being totally honest. As an example, I would have a hard time offering a second chance to a child molestor. 

5. What is your idea of fun? We love hanging out with friends and laughing and eating and talking! Hanging out with our grandkids can be fun, too!! It is fun to go to the lake and ride in the boat and feel the wind in my hair. It is fun to travel and see the world.

6. Insert your own random thought here. During our staff chapel at work, we are doing a wellness series for several weeks. We are talking about emotional, mental, physical, and spiritual health. In order to serve others, we need to be healthy in those areas. Is there one area where you struggle the most?

14 comments:

  1. Agreed that hanging out with friends is fun, especially if you're reminiscing. And yes, we taught out kids to greet people, order their own food at restaurants, and be polite. So many kids can't do that! I just read that something like 60% of kids my son's age (16) have "menu anxiety" and have their friends order for them. Good grief!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neither of our kids (37 years old) likes to make phone calls! They both do it, of course, but they don't like it! That is so crazy about the menu! Both of our older granddaughters (8 and 4 1/2) are learning to order for themselves!

      Delete
  2. I love the answers. I think it is great you guys are doing a wellness series. All of these areas are so important to address. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We actually had a counselor come and talk to us yesterday about taking care of ourselves. Since I work at a church and we have to "take care" of others quite often, she reminded us that we have to take care of ourselves first in order to do that!

      Delete
  3. I don't think screens have helped with real life interaction. I am always impressed when a very young person greets me by looking me in the eye when speaking. I have let my physical health droop a bit, too much eating and not enough moving, but am working to get back on track. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I have let all of the areas except mental slide. Mental in this series is related to knowledge. Since I'm in school, I feel like my brain is getting lots of exercise. I agree about screens!

      Delete
  4. Great suggestion about looking someone in the eye! Years ago when I was just starting out, I learned I didn't get a particular job because I hadn't looked the interviewer in the eye. Of course he had no idea I was shy -- but that's a lesson I've never forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow - that was a tough lesson! From your writing, I didn't imagine you are shy. My mother-in-law was always very shy and she said that people thought she was "stuck up," but she was just very shy.

      Delete
  5. I was taught to look at someone when they are speaking. When I was in college, I was taking a class called Teaching children in a multi-cultural setting. In some cultures, kids are taught not to look at an adult when speaking. We learned other things too. I taught my kids to look. That is good to do a wellness series. I am taking two classes through my church. One book is called Battlefield of the Mind. The other is Untangle your emotions. Both are good and address the issues you mentioned. Your banana recipes sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing that about other cultures. I didn't think of that!! This wellness series is great. Both of your books/studies sound interesting!!

      Delete
  6. sewing on a button is a good one! Basic life skills!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had quite a few people tell me lately that they needed to find someone to sew a button on a piece of clothing. I was actually surprised. I honestly thought it was something everyone knew how to do.

      Delete
  7. Yes to sewing on a button! I agree! Another fun Hodgepodge!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joyce does a great job every single week with the questions!! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete