Join us and answer some questions!!
1. Tell us about one fun thing on your June calendar. This weekend, we have two fun things. We get to keep our 2 month old grandbaby for part of the weekend while our son and daughter-in-law go out of town. We are also going to a friend’s family farm on Saturday for the day with our supper club. We are going to do some porch sittin’ while the guys fish or whatever. We will be about 20 minutes from our farm and I think Mark has to drive over there and put out some fish fertilizer (lake fertilizer?) or something like that. I look forward to spending time with good friends.
2. How careful are you in the sun? Do you tan or burn? Do you make it a point to see the dermatologist every year? I’m somewhat careful in the sun. I love to tan. I know that is not smart but tan fat looks so much better than pasty fat!! If I plan to be sitting out at the lake or pool, I always use SPF 15 (sometimes I use SPF 8 on my legs). I don’t use sunscreen on a daily basis. Mark, Laura, Glenn and I tan easily – I have the lightest skin of the four and I can get a good tan – Laura and Mark have olive skin so they can tan easily. I have the ruddy toned skin (Cherokee Indian – Native American) blood. Glenn has a mix of the olive and ruddy. Yes, both Mark and I see the dermatologist fairly regularly. He has told us that we have skin that is “not prone” to skin cancer but we still see him – probably once a year.
3. Describe a time when you wanted to 'throw in the towel'? oh wow – that is a tough question. I tend to over think these things. I know! Last month, when I was typing the agenda for our administrative board meeting . . ..I would type it and make corrections and email it to the chair of the board. Almost as soon as I would send it, someone would email me or call me and say, “we’ve changed our mind.” I changed it so many times and I was soooo frustrated! I could have easily thrown in the towel! I found the cartoon below on evilenglish.net and thought it fit nicely!
4. What's a song you love that has a day of the week in the title or lyrics? ok - the only songs I can think of are oldies . . .I even googled this!!
5. Are you a fan of berries? Which one's your favorite? What's the most recent berry dish you've eaten? Which blueberry breakfast food appeals to you most-blueberry pancakes, blueberry yogurt, or a blueberry muffin?
I love most all berries except raspberries, though I do like raspberry sherbet. Last night, I had spinach salad with blueberries, feta cheese and Ken’s lite Caesar dressing. Yummy!! I really love strawberries, too. Mark’s favorite berry (I know you didn’t ask but I’m telling anyway) is blackberry. . .fresh picked from the woods made into a cobbler. Back to your question, I like all three – blueberry yogurt, pancakes and muffin . . .but last week, I made a delicious baked blueberry oatmeal. It was really good!!
6. What's something you want to do before your next birthday?
Well, my birthday is in 13 days so I’m not going to be doing anything real adventurous between now and then. How about before June of 2017?? . . .I would like to lose 100 pounds! I’ve been eating healthier for the last few days but of course, I just ate a cookie. I would love to zip line, too!
7. June 1st is National Say Something Nice Day, so let's all say something nice here.
I had the nicest massage this morning! I work with some of the nicest people ever. I live in a nice home . . .in a nice town. We have nice friends. I can’t say anything nice about politics right now so I decided to stick with some easier items!!
8. Insert your own random thought here.
I just wrote a blog post about perspective and I’ve been thinking about that topic all week. All of us, no matter how dire our situation, can think about the nice things (using your word from above!) in our lives – some of us have great families, some of us have wonderful friends, some of us have excellent health, some of us are in top physical condition, some of us have adequate shelter and food. Everyone that I know personally has clean drinking water (I know that many in the world do not). Some of us ate a delicious lunch today. Some of us have air conditioning (it is about 90 degrees here today). So much of life is about perspective – how we see our world around us. One of my top five strengths (I love strengths finder!!) is positivity and my glass is not just half full but my glass is usually about to brim over. Perspective.