Sunday, May 29, 2016

Jealousy . . . is an ugly thing and perspective is everything!

Today in Sunday School, we had 16 people - maybe 18 or 20 because a couple of people just barely squeaked in (we usually have double that number).  We joked about the fact that those of us who were in Sunday School this morning were the ones who didn't have a lake or beach house (which actually wasn't true - several of those 18-20 folks do).  I made the mistake of looking on facebook this afternoon and everyone in the entire world is having a wonderful time at the beach or at some lake.  I struggled a little with jealousy.  I'm happy that they are all having a good time - really, I am!  I also realize that the pictures on facebook show the fun/happy/great moments not the moments where everyone in the family was screaming at each other or where the food wasn't cooked on time and everyone was hangry (angry hunger) or where a kid had a meltdown because they were exhausted.

I actually looked up a couple of scriptures about envy and I'm sure I'm taking them totally out of context here -- James 3:14-15 But if you harbor bitter envy and selfish ambition in your hearts, do not boast about it (and here I am blogging about it!) . . .such wisdom does not come down from heaven, but is earthly . . .
Of course, we all know 1 Corinthians chapter 13 - Love does not envy

I'm not really envious - I'm glad they are there - I just wish I could be there, too :-)

Then I started thinking about perspective.

Our friends, Scott and Bonnie are sitting in a hospital room and have been there for 9 weeks (this time).

Brian is camping and hiking and biking in the Smokey Mountains because he is radioactive because he has cancer.

Christian Cooper is in a hospital in Augusta recovering from burns over 90% of his body - he wasn't expected to live but he did!

I could go on and on and on but it only takes a few moments and life is quickly put into perspective.

I have a job that I love and I took a day of vacation on Friday and spent a couple of hours at our neighborhood pool which is 2 1/2 blocks from my front door (downhill going to the pool . . .uphill coming home and it almost killed me . . .I need to walk it every day!)  I should back up - on Thursday, I had a temporary crown installed - we have the money to pay the bill.  On Thursday night, I had a pedicure (what a luxury and I do not take pedicures for granted!!)  There is a small stocked lake one block from our house (I can't ride in a boat but Mark can fish!)



On Friday evening, I had a cold beverage of choice -- actually two frozen beverages of choice.


While I enjoyed that beverage, Mark also enjoyed a cold beverage and we sat on our upstairs porch with Harvey (our giant cat) and enjoyed the evening.


On Saturday, I sat in our courtyard and soaked up some more sun.  On Saturday night, we had friends come to the house and we walked to one of our local restaurants and this sweet dog sat at the table behind us!  I am so very thankful for friends.



Today, we worshipped in the contemporary service as a family -- Mark, Lisa, Laura, Glenn, Lauren, and Emma . . .and in the sanctuary just down the hall, my mother-in-law, sister-in-law, brother-in-law, and niece worshipped in the traditional service.  Four generations of our family worshipping in the same building - that is not something to take for granted.  Perspective!!
Emma was my seatmate.


It is Memorial Day weekend and we live in a country where we are free to worship; free to hang stars and strips on our porch railings and put star flags in our ferns.

Y'all - life is good.  Perspective is so important and jealousy only eats away at our souls.



Life is good!  Yes, it is.  I may not have pictures of me riding a jet ski or building a sandcastle but I realize that life is good.  Jealousy is an ugly thing and perspective is everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment