Saturday, May 28, 2016

Cooking in the Kitchen

My momma was a really good cook.  She cooked good old southern food.  She kept a metal can on the stove and she put the bacon drippings in that can and then she used that bacon grease to season green beans.  She used that bacon grease for all sorts of things including frying eggs for my daddy.  I've never been able to fry an egg in my life and for some reason during this last year I was magically able to fry an egg!  I think it is the skillet and the spatula.  The skillet is a cheap model from Walmart with a ceramic lining.  I bought it because it was red and I love red!  I also used a thin metal spatula that was my mother's -- it is triangle shaped with a wooden handle -- it was a pie server!


Mark loves fried eggs.  I don't even like them but I decided it was time that I learned how to cook it.  Mark doesn't like them totally runny but sometimes I get them too hard (second picture!).  I cooked these for breakfast for him one day last week.



We've also been getting boxes from Blue Apron and we've had fun cooking together.  I overcooked this fried egg - oops!  This was a mixture of stir fried veggies - they called it a warm slaw!  There was sliced beef on top and then a fried egg.  I broke the yoke in the first egg and since I don't like fried eggs anyway, I gave the next egg to Mark.


I also made a new no-bake cookie this week.  I took them to work and someone told me they tasted like a breakfast bar!  Yay!
2 cups granulated sugar
1 stick butter
1/2 cup milk (I only had half and half or coconut milk - so I used coconut milk - worked really well!)
1/3 cup baking cocoa
3 cups oats (I used old fashioned)
1 cup pecan pieces
handful of toasted coconut flakes (since I had used coconut milk - why not? right?)

In large saucepan, combine butter, sugar, milk and cocoa and bring to a boil over medium heat.  Stir frequently and boil for 3 minutes.

Let mixture cook for 3-5 minutes and add oats, pecans, and coconut flakes.

Drop by spoonfuls (I did big spoonfuls because I was tired!) onto waxed paper and allow to harden.  Store in an airtight container.

I buy up a supply of fake silver trays at the Dollar Tree.  I didn't store in airtight container - I placed on tray and covered with Press N Seal.

These are good but I love the old fashioned ones with peanut butter.



No comments:

Post a Comment