1. What's something fun you're looking forward to on your May calendar?
A long weekend! Yessirree – I’m going to take the Friday off before Memorial Day and stay at home for four whole days . . .awwww . . .Actually, I’ll be at church on that Sunday so I’m not sure that day counts but I’ll still have a Friday and a Monday off!! I LOVE my job, but I can use a few days of mindless re-charging!!
2. What are some images that come to mind when you hear the word mother?
I think of my mom – she died when I was a Sophomore in high school. I don’t remember much about her. I wish I could have an adult conversation with her. I also think of Mark’s mom – Susie – she has been a mom to me for 30+ years. She has treated me as one of her own. She has loved our children as only a grandmother can do!! I think of countless women who poured love into my life – Inez Lane and Dovie Parker. After momma died, they stepped up to the plate and helped guide me. I think of the mom of some friends that I met through the Emmaus Community – there are at least three sisters (like me and my sisters) and they and their mom worked an Emmaus walk with me years ago. I remember that she treated me like one of her own and I remember how my love tank was filled up over that weekend. When I think of the word mother, I also think of myself and I wonder if I did a satisfactory job of mothering. My kids are great young adults . . .and they love Jesus . . .so that makes me happy!!
3. What's something beautiful you own or have seen that's made of glass?
Last night, I used a crystal biscuit barrel to hold salsa! Crazy, right? I also own a Waterford bowl and candlesticks that Ed Onimus gave us as a wedding gift. They are beautiful but they mainly stay on the shelf in the china cabinet. I just remembered -- I do have something really beautiful and meaningful made from glass !! I own earrings from Israel . . .made of Roman glass!!
biscuit barrel . . . or cookie jar!!
4. Was today typical? If not what made it unusual?
Today was a good day . . .and pretty typical. I work in a church so no two days are ever exactly the same. Today, I typed a lot of letters and I scheduled appointments and I had some nice conversations and I heard a funny story at lunch about a wedding . . .and I had Mexican food left-overs for lunch . . and I had a massage . . ..pretty good day!!
5. What is a quality you wish you could have more of?
Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, gentleness and SELF CONTROL. I prayed for patience 30 years ago and found out the very next month that I was pregnant with twins. God didn’t just GIVE me patience – I had to learn patience. I’m a tad afraid to pray for SELF CONTROL . . .I need it though.
6. What's the next major purchase you need to make? Will it happen in the month of May?
Several men have been crawling around on our roof yesterday and today installing a tin roof over the porch. Our original house plans showed the tin/metal roof, but our builder cheaped out on us (mark’s words) so we just had one installed. Looks pretty cool! I hope I don’t have to purchase anything else My grocery bill every week would be considered a major purchase by some folks! We are going to have some outside painting done which is not a purchase (except for the paint) but it costs money so . . .
7. What responsibility/job/work did you dislike while growing up but has proved helpful to you as an adult?
I was a bossy kid . . .and that leadership has served me well . . . .hahahahaha! Actually, I talked a lot when I was a kid and I was always getting C’s in conduct. I can still hear my daddy's voice, “It seems to me, that someone as smart as you, could keep her mouth shut.” I was a straight A student with C’s in conduct. So today, I teach and facilitate and listen to others. I think that some skill (who knows what?) was developing deep inside me during that time (that sounds important, right???).
8. Insert your own random thought here. My first random thought was about my granddaughter. I hate to keep telling y’all about her but she is so cute. I told y’all about the fish fry last weekend – here are a few of the other decorations. I had so much fun. This weekend, we are going to a crawfish boil! Tonight, we are keeping our grandbaby! Woo hoo!